front load washer experience

Time to update some appliances and need opinions…

Get a top load H E washer. Then you don’t have to worry about the seals.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Or the smell of mildew.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

Had a front loader for 8 years now without any seal or mildew problems. The key to keeping the mildew down is leaving the door open after you wash clothes. If you close it up then you get mildew. Let it air out and you should be fine.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

Only trouble with a front load, is if you want to soak something before washing.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Had a front loader for 8 years now without any seal or mildew problems. The key to keeping the mildew down is leaving the door open after you wash clothes. If you close it up then you get mildew. Let it air out and you should be fine.

You are actually right about something…let me update the tally.

Fritz right: 1
Fritz wrong: 68,978,312

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

We bought our last machine the dealer stated he sells them but wouldn’t have one in his home. Bought what tigerfin wrote.

quote:

I tried that Fritz but kept hitting it with my knee when I walked by. You must have a bigger house…

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

You are actually right about something…let me update the tally.

Fritz right: 1
Fritz wrong: 68,978,312

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Front load depends on what you get and unfortunately how much you spend. My wife’s one thing she wouldn’t budge on in the new house was the washer and dryer. We looked at just about everything out there. Ended up with a Kenmore Front Load W/D, I think it’s 5.2cf on the washer and 7.2cf on the dryer, made by LG. You can get the extended warranty and service plan through them and they send out the LG tech to clean, service and do preventative maintenance once a year. Not one issue since April and she averages at least a load a day. As for soaking, the one we have has that option on it as well but we hardly ever use it, clothes come out a lot cleaner than the old top load did.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Thanks guys,really appreciate reviews…concerning hitting the leg aspect of leaving the door open I plan on getting the ankle length fur coat like fritz has to eliminate that problem,it seams to be working for him and only adds 25 bucks to the service plan.[:0]

quote:
Originally posted by lrobalo
quote:

I tried that Fritz but kept hitting it with my knee when I walked by. You must have a bigger house…

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

My woman does my laundry. I'm not allowed near that area. Wash her clothes the wrong time just once, and you too will get the same instructions.

Maybe its all an act; maybe he’s a genius afterall…

quote:
quote:
quote:

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

My woman does my laundry. I'm not allowed near that area. Wash her clothes the wrong time just once, and you too will get the same instructions.

I did the same thing. First time I did her laundry years ago I messed it up so bad I'm not "allowed" to do laundry any more.

Front loaders use way less water, and you can stack them to take up less space. I’m a fan of the LG ones

If you go with front load, would definitely recommend paying the delivery fee, especially if you have to go up stairs. Them suckers are HEAVY!!!

A bad day fishing is much better than a good day at work.

quote:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Everything I have read about these isn’t good. A HE washer uses much less water than a normal one does, and the way the drum is oriented in a top-loader means the clothes won’t get as clean. That was the #1 complaint about HE top-loaders that I read. If you use a small towel and dry off the seals on a front-loading HE washer, and keep the door ajar, you won’t have a problem with mildew. That’s what I do on mine and I have never had a problem with it.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

quote:
quote:
quote:

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

Ok…I’ll try that and see what she does…where do you live?

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

quote:
Originally posted by capehorn 16

I plan on getting the ankle length fur coat like fritz has to eliminate that problem.[:0]

That’s not fur, it’s his hair:smiley:.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by Wolakrab
quote:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Everything I have read about these isn’t good. A HE washer uses much less water than a normal one does, and the way the drum is oriented in a top-loader means the clothes won’t get as clean. That was the #1 complaint about HE top-loaders that I read. If you use a small towel and dry off the seals on a front-loading HE washer, and keep the door ajar, you won’t have a problem with mildew. That’s what I do on mine and I have never had a problem with it.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

Well dang, I never knew I had a POS washing machine, I guess I do now!

It was free anyway, my brother gave it to me because it quit working and he has the hand skills of a double amputee, and that’s not being fair to most double amputees. Anyway it had a wire loose on the motor and I fixed it in less than 5 minutes while he went out and bought a new 1000 dollar washer. It’s been working for 2 years now without a hitch, so I can’t complain.:smiley:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

We have a front loader Frigidaire. Pretty solid machine, I think front loaders use less water and soap than top loaders. One soap pack cleans a big load.

You do have to keep the door open or you’ll get a musky smell. I keep a bottle of bleach in front of the door to keep it slightly open and out of the way.

This ain’t a knock on front loaders (I don’t think), but the other day our machine started slinging water around the door and I’d have to run an extra spin dry and still the clothes were little heavier with water. So I removed the bottom panel and disconnected the rubber “trap boot” between the drum drain and the water pump impeller.

Some stuff I found:
about $4 in coins
1 fish hook ( #2 circle I think )
1 guitar pick
2 stainless steel screws
1 sock (this was the reason for the washer not draining.):8ball:

I put the boot back on, replaced the bottom panel and it’s running good as new.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC