fruit trees

Penny, that yard is amazing :sunglasses: Iā€™m not showing any pictures of mine.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

missā€™n fishā€™n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

We have a farm out in Gresham, SC and sucessfully grow peaches, pears, plums, apples, nectarines, apricots, pomegranites,jujus, figs,blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, muscadines and scuppernongs. Apples produce well but the humidity makes them prone to fungal growth. The orchard is a field surrounded by an oxbow swamp off the Big Pee Dee and humiditiy can make fruit growth challenging. Our kiwi vines produce hundreds of kiwis a year but we cannot get the fruit to mature. Peaches need dry ground. If any water collects around the base the trees will die. One of the most important things with a fruit tree is making sure the saplings you purchase are grafted to the latest disease-resistant root stock. Weā€™ve used gaurdian for awhile now.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, donā€™t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31ā€™ Contender
ā€œToucheā€
250 HPDIs

BUGS! Any suggestions?

quote:
Originally posted by EquipMgr

BUGS! Any suggestions?

Send photos to your county extension agent, then follow his recommendations for spraying. If you have liquid sevin lying around, it wonā€™t hurt to give that a shot.

If youā€™re lucky enough to be fishing, youā€™re lucky enough.

looks like aphids. used dish water will work.

or a bunch of lady bugs. :smiley:

Yep, aphids. Liquid soap mixed with water in a spray bottle.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Thank you gentlemen. That explains the ants as wellā€¦

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Anyone tried Kiwis? I heard somewhere that there used to be a giant kiwi farm outside of Charleston.

Got to have male and female plants, they grow on a vine and need a trellis system. I got some a few years ago and the goat ate them and they never put back out. They have some new cold hardy varieties out that I think this spring Iā€™ll try. Let you know.

Thanks. Always thought it would be neat to have a trellis full of kiwis with a bench under it :slight_smile:

One last question: Tree (and lime tree next to it) is in a pot. Bring in for the winter or OK outside?

close to house on sunny side should be ok, still cover my potted citrus/pineapples when theyā€™re up against the brick on a cold night (if I donā€™t drag them into the garage). best to just bring them in, put them in a sunny window for the winter. I had a potted lime that would put out a winter crop with the sun through the window.

and I gotta try to hijack a little bit, have 2 small blueberries (~2ā€™ tall) that were a gift earlier in the year, still sitting in pots. not sure best time of year/location for planting. well-drained? full sun? fertilize/amend at planting?

Grapefruits are looking good!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
have 2 small blueberries (~2' tall) that were a gift earlier in the year, still sitting in pots. not sure best time of year/location for planting. well-drained? full sun? fertilize/amend at planting?

Plant them in the winter after they go dormant. Jan or Feb. Well drained soil, they donā€™t need full sun, partial is fine. They are an acid loving plant so our soil needs nothing. We fertilize ours with 10-10-10 about once every 2 years or less and prune them once a year. They pretty much take care of themselves. Weā€™ve got about 100 plants, they do real good.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

awesome, thanks Larry!

I have a similar size grapefruit in the back yard that has about 18 big fruits on it, turning color and starting to soften up now. first time it has produced since we had that nasty cold 2(?) years ago.