fruit trees

Other than fig and lemon trees, has anyone had any success growing other fruit trees in this area? Ie: apple, peach, pear, etc. If so please share what info you can on varieties, soil amendments, etc.

persimmon[sp] trees grow good,banna tree also.

Double D.

We’ve got figs, pears, I think the variety is Moon Glow pear or something like that, they do real good. Got a couple of peaches that seldom make an edible peach, they make a bunch of peaches but get bugs, we don’t spray them right I reckon. 50 blueberry plants that produce really good and a couple of grape vines that do excellent with very little care.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

We have key lime that currently has about 30 gigantic limes and a small orange tree that currently has 50-100 small fruits on it.
We keep all our plants in large planters (easier to move if we get a few cold days) and add an organic fertilizer every few months. They seem to do best on the SE corner behind our house.

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty
Scott.Fulton@AgentOwnedRealty.com

Key West 1720

I grow banannas

Key lime also…in a planter, grows well and produces lots of limes that are small but have lots of flavor. A friend of ours has a large grapefruit tree in their yard that does really well.
Check the Clemson ‘making it grow’ or master gardener websites, they have lots of info on growing fruit trees in various locations in the state.

Our key lime in a pot is covered up with limes right now. Perfect size for a cool drink. I also planted an granny apple earlier this spring and it has done well. Grown about a foot this year, but no fruit yet. It’s pushing about 7’ tall now. I’m going to plant two more next spring.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Anyone tried Kiwis? I heard somewhere that there used to be a giant kiwi farm outside of Charleston.

lemon, lime kumquat, and banana trees In our yard…all do well,
kumquat tree and lime trees are loaded right now. I too have mine in xlarge potsand just pull them under back porch in the winter and cover with plastic drop sheets

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I’ve been thinking of planting some citrus trees as well and was told to contact this nursery that is located in South Carolina. I can’t vouch for them but if their trees grow there I guess they would grow here.

http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm

quote:
Anyone tried Kiwis? I heard somewhere that there used to be a giant kiwi farm outside of Charleston.

There is a Kiwi farm between Ridgeland and Beaufort that I pass on the way to the boat ramp. They always have a sign up for Kiwi fruits.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Got to have male and female plants, they grow on a vine and need a trellis system. I got some a few years ago and the goat ate them and they never put back out. They have some new cold hardy varieties out that I think this spring I’ll try. Let you know.

Dang stinking goats :smiley: We had a couple that ate almost everything we had. We finally ate the goats and they weren’t any good either.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Hooligan

Other than fig and lemon trees, has anyone had any success growing other fruit trees in this area? Ie: apple, peach, pear, etc. If so please share what info you can on varieties, soil amendments, etc.

Hooligan, What area do you live in?

We can do Peaches, Pears, Figs, Persimmons, mulberries, Plums, Black cherrie(wild), Juneberries (shadeberry/servicebery), Blue berries, black berry, Crab apple, and pomegranate. These can be grown pretty much anywhere in S.C.

Closer to the coast add your citrus trees, banana’s, and kiwi’s. I’m just above Walterboro and the only way I’ve had any success is by putting them in pots and bringing in during the winter. I’m going to try kiwi again, and my dad’s done banana. They don’t produce fruit until the second year. He would wrap his trees with a blanket and insulation. Delicious, he just got tired of the maintenance after he found he could do it.

Mid state and above add in Apple and Paw-Paws. I’ve had some wonderful apple trees and the best I’ve ever done was one or two apples. Was taking a soil sample to Clemson and the dude there said we don’t have a long enough cold spell for apples in this area. ?

All that said, get a soil sample. Clemson charges $5.00 well worth it! If you are in a subdivision that was built in a low area, there is no telling what type of soil was used for fill dirt.

Good luck! Nothing like going on a walk with the wife and picking a couple of pears to put in your pocket for a snack.

Just bought a place in Hollywood and finally have enough land to do something with. Thanks for all the info guys. So far nobody has mentioned apples.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Dang stinking goats :smiley: We had a couple that ate almost everything we had. We finally ate the goats and they weren’t any good either.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

If you castrate the billies before the first month and butcher around 8 months to a year,they actually eat pretty good! Never ever eat a fully Billy, the meat smells about as bad as they do. imo.

I’ve got one 14 year old goat left that belongs to my daughter, He’ll be around till he dies a natural death…

contact Simply Bananas…local banana tree guy :slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

don’t know how to turn these or make them smaller. second pic is limes…third pic is kumquats/

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Wow! That back yard looks like a tropical oasis!