Funny, but maddening too

So, I’ve been thinking about picking up a used jon boat for fishing the creeks, picking oysters, etc. Something in good shape, but also easy to clean and not worried about scratching up. I’ve been looking at Craigslist mostly. It is shocking what some people think their boat is worth! Sorry, but a 1975 14-ft long jon boat with a 1979, 9-hp Johnson two stroke and a trashed trailer is not worth $2600! Ok, off my soapbox now. Sorry.

i am in the same situation. 10 year old carolina skiff with a tiller motor is not a 5k boat.

Not defending any of the prices, but have you studied inflation lately? Try looking at the cost of new? It drives up the used prices.

You’ll be saying the same about rental rates if you ever go to look for a place to rent in the near future. It’s all what the market will bear.

$40k for a Jeep Wrangler, $60k for an F-150. That will sure keep used ones in the $10k-$20k range, even though “I” think they aren’t worth it.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

My Dad used to tell me that an object is worth what someone will pay for it. I have a 14’ jonboat with a 15 hp Mariner that probably has less than 50 hours in freshwater. I keep thinking about selling it as I don’t use it but, I know I would not get what I think it is worth so I’ll hang on to it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Not defending any of the prices, but have you studied inflation lately? Try looking at the cost of new? It drives up the used prices.

You’ll be saying the same about rental rates if you ever go to look for a place to rent in the near future. It’s all what the market will bear.

$40k for a Jeep Wrangler, $60k for an F-150. That will sure keep used ones in the $10k-$20k range, even though “I” think they aren’t worth it.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Makes me wonder how people can afford them in the first place,I know I can’t…Even if I could I don’t think would buy new…I know what I bring home every week,what I save and then I see young folks driving around in these 50k pickups… Hopefully having priorities will pay off in the future… Maybe I got it all wrong and should just go w the flow and join the 600 a month club…Nah,I’m good.

cape, years ago while in the military the wife and I went fishing and camping on the Columbia River. I rented a boat trailer combo and tent on base and away we went. We were set up in the campground and a BIG Motor Home pulled in, to the next spot. A young women and 2 little kids got out and set up. Not long after that, here comes the guy with a brand new 4X4 pulling a big new Gofast boat. Wife and I were sitting on the ground at our little pop-up tent with a Coleman stove watching this. I asked the wife, what are we doing wrong? All she said was, well we don’t have any payments and don’t owe anyone. Save your money and get the important stuff your family needs. The other, nice to have, but don’t really need stuff, will come along in time.

Come on Easy, ypi know you’re loaded. That boxed wine doesn’t pay for itself.

I like the Boxed stuff, cause it don’t roll out from under the seat when a cop stops you!

Saw this on Sav Craigslist this morning, looks like a decent deal.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/boa/4844251193.html

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Darn Cracker, why aren’t you on the road to pick that thing up:question: That looks like a quick flip$$$$$

It’s real close to my house if you want me to check it out.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I have a 16 malibu skiff I would sell for $1000. New floors and grizzley griped on inside. sits on a galvanized trailer. no motor and no console. just a wide open skiff

Scout 185

I’ll pass Cracker! Got 2 I don’t use now and the wife wants me to sell one. If I do, she ain’t seeing any of the money. She just wants room in the garage so she can park her car:angry:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I’ll pass Cracker! Got 2 I don’t use now and the wife wants me to sell one. If I do, she ain’t seeing any of the money. She just wants room in the garage so she can park her car:angry:

A Lexus needs some shelta.:sunglasses:

2005 Volvo V50! That’s why we don’t have payments. Run them till they die:dizzy_face:

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Come on Easy, ypi know you’re loaded. That boxed wine doesn’t pay for itself.

admin band* him

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170

90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Hey, I agree with you on the car thing to an extent, but boats seem above and beyond the car/truck market. I fully understand inflation and it cannot account for some of these ads. Maybe they are just listing them so they can say “Look honey/darling/hubby, I tried to sell the boat but nobody wanted it!” Sure, there are good deals out there, i just can’t believe the willing suspension of belief with some of these folks about the value of their floating tin/fiberglass can.

See, to sort of justify my other post - that is what I was getting at. We’ve been looking for two years now. To me, $5k would get me a good “beginner boat” and where I’m from, it probably would. But around here in Charleston, $5k seems to only get about as far as a 25 year old 17’ CC with an old mismatched Johnson. For $10k, that moves me up to the 2000 model early Scout center console with an old yamaha running on 5k hours.

The used boat market is tough down here, and people take a lot of pride in these old boats they’re posting to Craigslist, it seems. I’ll find one, but the good ones are definitely few and far between.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

My Dad used to tell me that an object is worth what someone will pay for it. I have a 14’ jonboat with a 15 hp Mariner that probably has less than 50 hours in freshwater. I keep thinking about selling it as I don’t use it but, I know I would not get what I think it is worth so I’ll hang on to it.

This statement is exactly true. Negotiating skills and patience go a long way with used boats.