Gamefish at local seafood shop

Local established business had several slot size redfish sitting on ice. They looked pretty fresh, hard to believe they are from another state. Is this legal?

I’ve seen this is several spots. They’re typically farm raised from what I’ve heard.

That would be best answered by, Sellsfish!

I can answer that one. Those fish are “cultivated” and the seafood dealer must have all the certificates of origin on premise. There is an operation in NC that grows redfish .

Ask them where they are from. If they won’t tell you, shop elsewhere. They are typically legally harvested from NC.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/statistics/comstat/drumred

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Funny, I saw them at a Publix in Florida. Thought it was odd since they can’t be caught here and sold.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Our local Seafood shop regulary has Specks, Reds and BSB. And I’ve ask where?..NC.

Many fish are cultivated now days - and there are still places that have a inshore commercial fishery. A licensed seafood dealer is required to have a record on site showing that everything under his roof is from a legal source. Its not worth it to risk your business for an illegal fish. The DNR has a special division that works hard to enforce the chain of possession from the boat that caught it to the point of sale.

Reds and cobia are both farm raised. The fines are too great for Seafood operation to risk losing it all on a five dollar fish. North Carolina still harvest speckle trout and redfish commercially for export.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Hopefully, what you’re seeing is all legal fish.

This is now several years old, but there are those who will risk their businesses for a higher profit.

I remember this case very well, being an avid Striper angler & from MD, plus this was one of the few news stories that got a lot of media attention at the time, at least locally in MD.

There were many involved and potentially millions of dollars.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/jury-convicts-district-columbia-fish-wholesaler-two-employees-purchasing-illegally-harvested