Gar, Carp, mudfish???

Hey guys, I just moved to Columbia YESTERDAY… and im just not that familiar with the area. Before I get bombarded with “you must be crazy” sorta responses, I do fish intentionally for a broader spectrum of freshwater species and that does include a lot of time pursuing gar, carp, mudfish (bowfin) intentionally… I write for two different publications (Fishing-Headquarters magazine and USCarpPro magazine) specifically for “rough fish”. I caught my first gar in lake murray when I was 9 years old… but I was wondering if anyone could give me PRECISE areas that I could target on the lake or surrounding rivers for these three species. I don’t imagine anyone is too protective over their gar or carp spots, so the more precise the better :slight_smile: thank you for any helpful direction!

I pick them up all the time while striper fishing. It seems like in june they seem to take over the shallow points as the striper move deep. Bomb/lunch island is a good place then. You can see them flipping on top. Pretty soon the herring will be spawning on the rocks at the dam. When they do you can see the gar cruising up and down the rip rap eating them. That should only be a week or two away.

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

What he said… summer time you can cruise the shallows and usually find them in pods of 2-5 in 5 ft or less. I fly fish for them in the summer and know of a couple spots that I will post. There is one good flat with 15ft surrounded by 35ish ft where you will find 30 to 40 gar podding and eating. This spot held fish most of the summer last year.

Lake Marion (if you don’t mind a bit of a drive) and all the associated river systems with it have tons of gar, and definitely has bowfin. Also some carp, I sometimes see them cruising the shallows near twilight.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

Forgot I had even made this post haha. Thank you for the replies and directed areas to scout. I will probably start getting out there more regularly at the end of May or early June. Thanks again!

http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/boundlesspursuit/

I’d say the Bush River is probably your best bet for all three…

Team Shad Up & Fish

If you’ve had fun catching fish on the transom bait, you are welcome…

I’ve spent about 85% of my life’s wages on fishing, the rest I just wasted…

I caught a 30/35 lb common carp in Murray on a spoon, no lie. I think it was in January around Buffalo Creek.

Used to wear the carp out about this time of year and in the fall. Pieces of pumpkin that floated in the fall and thawed pizza rolls or pieces of hot dog were the baits of choice. I’ll try to dig some pictures up. Caught them on my micro ugly stick with braided line…it was a heck of good time.