Garage Door Openers - UPDATE

Our 15 year old garage door opener apparently got fried a couple of weeks ago during a storm. The lights still come on but nothing happens when you attempt to open the door. The unit is a Genie screw drive and I am looking at belt-drive units to replace it due to quieter operation. Anyone have any experience with the Chamberlain models? Looking for one I can swap out without too much BS.

Many of those openers have serviceable parts in them if you feel like messing with it. Several boards can be replaced. It might be worth a phone call to Genie to save a few hundred bucks.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

I started out with two Chamberlains 16 years ago. They worked fine until last month. One broke and fell on my two week old pickup! I was not very happy. I couldn’t find a new Chamberlain that would fit the existing hardware. I replaced it with a Genie from Lowes for about $125. So far so good.

ZX

You may be on to something there Ricky. Did a little more googling and found that it may have fried the circuit board. I found a replacement for $39.99. At the rate I am fixing/replacing stuff lately, that is a lot better than $200+. Thanks all!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

seems like alotta stuff breaking this year. hope your luck turns around DF

Yep! I had a lighting strike take out a board in my opener and they replaced the board! All was good again! The strike hit the high voltage lines and it blew through the house surge protector like it wasn’t even there! Got 2 TV’s/ Refrigerator/ dish washer/ phone system/ heat pump on the Goethermal system/ GFI outlets! Some lady down the way, had 2 house serge protectors back to back, in the house and it blew through both of them!

Easy, just curious, do you have cable TV?

Lots of things get fried in homes due to it coming through the cable TV connection.

BTW, those so called surge protectors (those 10 dollar ones)that are popular with entertainment centers and such are really nothing more than an extension cord.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

DoubleN, I do have cable TV. The whole house serge protector is wired to the main electrical panel and was rated at something like 47,000 volts! Blew through it like a knife through butter! Blew the transformer on the pole first and that didn’t even slow it down!

quote:
seems like alotta stuff breaking this year. hope your luck turns around DF

Pea, you have no idea. This year has been a tough one so far. I am ready for a break in replacing/repairing stuff. Seems like it is something every week but, we’re healthy and have jobs and a roof over our heads so it’s all good.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

DoubleN, I do have cable TV. The whole house serge protector is wired to the main electrical panel and was rated at something like 47,000 volts! Blew through it like a knife through butter! Blew the transformer on the pole first and that didn’t even slow it down!

Easy, sending you a PM.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Found a Sequencer Board on the net (North Shore Commercial Door) for $45 including shipping. Finally had a few minutes to replace the old one and YAAAAY, the garage door opener works again.

Thanks for the input, feels good not to have to drop $250. CF continues to be a great place for help.

glad something was easy to fix for you this year. hope all is well

Thanks Buddy! Hanging in there but dying to get on the water. Don’t even care if I catch anything, just want to smell some pluff mud.