Garage Door Rollers

My garage door is 20 years old and still in great shape…the rollers however are the old steel ones that squeak and seem loose. I am replacing a part on my old Genie screw drive opener and am thinking about replacing the rollers while I’m at it.

It seems that nylon rollers would be much quieter and like a reel, more ball bearings would better. Has anyone ever replaced their rollers and if so, any advice on replacements or words of wisdom?

Thanks

Oh, and I meant to say, Hush Peapod, I didn’t break anything.

You’re not done yet

A few sprays of this did wonders for my garage door

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blaster-16-CCL-11-oz-Chain-and-Cable-Lubricant/100834157?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222227049887655&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=142383487677&wl4=pla-260782703458&wl5=9010525&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=100834157&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaCgGR7NYQjwOD783WBv8-qnRN6Rnpu4Mi6_Jrvo57_BPdxAHnnVFjRoCZ8gQAvD_BwE

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

Thanks Fritz.

Peapod……………………never mind.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Get rid of the screw-type opener and install a belt drive unit. You’ll be amazed at how much quieter it will be. A spritz of some lithium grease on the rollers and you’ll be good to go.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

“Squeaky wheel gets the most grease”…

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Opener works fine for now so no new one though belt-drive will be what I get when I do. Just never thought about the rollers and after looking at a few, some are wobbly like the bearings are worn out. In 19 years, that sucker has gone up/down an awful lot as we go through the garage every day.

The FOB wears out long before the opener. White lithiem grease in a spray can make the rollers new again!

Replace them with nylon rollers that have high quality bearings made in USA.Probably lots of axial and radial play in those 20yr old bearings.

Without pictures this never happened…

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Ordered nylon rollers w/13 bearings last night. You’ll get your dang pics once I get them on. Go play with your trains.

“lots of axial and radial play in those 20yr old bearings.” Yep, that’s why I’m replacing them.

Axial and radial play. Dammit
Somebody make him stop

I was impressed by that as well. Though I am easily impressed.

You broke anything yet buddy?

I’m heading over tonight to help fix it…it’ll be alright.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Replaced all the rollers last night, replaced the worn out carriage that pulls the door up and down on the screw drive rail, lubed all the hinges and the rail and now it is quitter than it has ever been. It could only be more quiet if it was a belt drive.

Y’all both can relax now.

But do you have any axial and radial play?

Nope, those bad boys are tighter than Dick’s hat band.

What does that mean, some kinda 5-0 code or something? Also how many rollers were broken during the change out?

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

The FOB wears out long before the opener. White lithiem grease in a spray can make the rollers new again!

THIS… My garage door opener is 40 years old and this is all I use a couple of times a year…

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers