Gardeners .. so how did y'all do?

Had a great year, had plenty of rain this year when needed. Never watered once. I think the only pic missing is the corn. Did Peaches and Cream and silver King. Best year in awhile for Corn. Looks like everyone should have a bumper crop of field corn this year.

Heard the dogs barking and then saw Dad drive up with a BIG pumpkin to give to the wife. Mine are a little small compared to his. Life is good! Dad actually dug new potatoes the first of March, I didn’t even plant mine till then.

and the pic of the roots is a sunflow that got killed by termites of all things?? Never had this happen before. Had several Sunflowers wilt over and die. Pulled them and found that termites had eaten the roots. The carrot was put in for laughs… or at least I found it funny.

“Why Bruce?”

That’s a good-looking family. Who’s are they?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

That’s a good-looking family. Who’s are they?

:face_with_head_bandage:

So this is what it’s like to be in the bad graces of pee pod? :sunglasses: I claim them plus many more, I’ve got a large family pee pod… Dad just turned 84. I don’t have much to offer in the way of Garden produce right now, but this fall I should have plenty of Kale and other Greens. You are more than welcome to pick your share if you are in this area.

“Why Bruce?”

Fred, the Pod, is all about Kale:wink: If it’s wrapped around meat, of some kind:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Fred, the Pod, is all about Kale:wink: If it’s wrapped around meat, of some kind:smiley:

I wonder if tube steak would be appropriate for him?

“Why Bruce?”

Na, he’s a good guy! I actually think he was complimenting you, having a good looking family!

quote:

Na, he’s a good guy! I actually think he was complimenting you, having a good looking family!

In that case I retract my statement about tube steak. … Hmmm no not really some hot dogs over a pecan fire are hard to beat. Pee pod, let me know and I’ll cut a stick for you if you ever want to join us for a simple cook out. of course besides the hot dogs there will be many more goodies to eat if you don’t like the tube steak. One thing for sure, in my family there is no shortage of food. And the chilli to put on the dog, if you want it will not be out of a can.

Easy you are invited too. :smiley: Heck, maybe we can get Fritz to bring some stone ground grits… I’ll provide the shrimp. ohhh and we could let Polly bring some back straps. what a smorgasbord that would be! I’ve not got but 2 left in the freezer and only 6 packs of cube steak and no hamburger. Just another 30 days to go.

“Why Bruce?”

Lookin’ good, Fred. We didn’t get moved in until early May, and I have been too busy to get a garden in. I did plant some herbs in a window planter though, and I made some seriously good pesto from my fresh basil.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

SFL, you ain’t right! Go out to Coastal Produce, in Summerville and take pictures!

It has been well established for many years that I ain’t right. Try to keep up, Easy!

quote:

Awesome! Tough year for us on James island…pretty upsetting actually. The borers got to our squash earlier than normal and killed 12 of the 18 plants we had. Still got some because we plant eArly. Did get lots of cherry and golden pear tomatoes, okra, and egg plants. Our larger tomatoes got hit by squirrels…got a pellet gun for that now. Beans, peas, peppers, and tomatillo are starting to fire off. Just lost a bee hive to wax moths too. I will say growing your own stuff makes you appreciate farmers!!! We will be better prepared for next year. Thinking of growing some random stuff next year. I try to grow a random vegetable every year to see what happens.

quote:
Originally posted by fishcrazy

Awesome! Tough year for us on James island…pretty upsetting actually. The borers got to our squash earlier than normal and killed 12 of the 18 plants we had. Still got some because we plant eArly. Did get lots of cherry and golden pear tomatoes, okra, and egg plants. Our larger tomatoes got hit by squirrels…got a pellet gun for that now. Beans, peas, peppers, and tomatillo are starting to fire off. Just lost a bee hive to wax moths too. I will say growing your own stuff makes you appreciate farmers!!! We will be better prepared for next year. Thinking of growing some random stuff next year. I try to grow a random vegetable every year to see what happens.

I hear you on the random vegetable, this year I got some Jerusalem Artichokes from Burgess that are growing good. My grandma used to pickle them, gonna give it a try. Don’t know much about them other than she used to dig them in the fall.

besides termites, had squirrels eating the heads off the sunflowers? two things I’ve never had before. Both problems solved now with poison and lead.

“Why Bruce?”