Gardens

How are folks gardens going this year? Any dealing with squash wilt? These triple digit days have taken a few plants OUT no matter how much extra water I’ve given. I think it’s the wilt bacteria, but cannot find any squash bugs thankfully (been over run with those [censored] before and lost all squash, zucchini, and cukes.

quote:
Originally posted by Tryin_2_FISHMORE

How are folks gardens going this year? Any dealing with squash wilt? These triple digit days have taken a few plants OUT no matter how much extra water I’ve given. I think it’s the wilt bacteria, but cannot find any squash bugs thankfully (been over run with those [censored] before and lost all squash, zucchini, and cukes.

You gonna talk or FISH!

More than likely your squash problem is a Squash Borer Insect. The beetle injects its egg into the base of the squash stem and as the larvae matures it ultimately wilts/kills the plant. When the plant dies you can split the stem and see the larvae inside.

Knock on wood, my tomatoes look better than I’ve had in over a decade. I planted mine in large containers in store bought potting soil and I started my tomatoes from seed. I also bleached out he containers before placing the soil in them. I am convinced the store bought bonnie tomatoes come already infected with wilt virus.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:

You gonna talk or FISH!

More than likely your squash problem is a Squash Borer Insect. The beetle injects its egg into the base of the squash stem and as the larvae matures it ultimately wilts/kills the plant. When the plant dies you can split the stem and see the larvae inside.

Knock on wood, my tomatoes look better than I’ve had in over a decade. I planted mine in large containers in store bought potting soil and I started my tomatoes from seed. I also bleached out he containers before placing the soil in them. I am convinced the store bought bonnie tomatoes come already infected with wilt virus.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

First off great potatoes crop purple, red , russet, and Yukon gold. Squash and zucchini still going strong with heavy watering. Cucumbers good but many with bitter skin. Should have first crop of field peas this weekend. My sweet corn is a total loss. Had some mutton corn from dad. He planted first of February. Gona plant some Gregory peanuts this weekend

I believe There is going to be a lot of crop failures in SC due to early heat and dry weather.

I’ve been doing upside down tomatoes for the last few years. They are doing really well this year. These are all roma tomatoes. This picture is about a month ago. They’re about a foot from the ground and covered in large fruit now.

Karma is 360 degrees

“If fishing were easy it would be called your mom”

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro
quote:

You gonna talk or FISH!

I thought that too, but the plants that have completely wilted to the ground I pulled and checked for that and no larvae nor exit hole. It seems it may really have been heat related as during the cooler (relatively speaking) last few days some plants have recovered. More than likely your squash problem is a Squash Borer Insect. The beetle injects its egg into the base of the squash stem and as the larvae matures it ultimately wilts/kills the plant. When the plant dies you can split the stem and see the larvae inside.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

You gonna talk or FISH!

About time for the deer and hogs to get in mine, So dry up here the greens have weathered in the woods and the only thing green is my garden, a few years ago they pushed the posts out of the ground for the electric fence to get to the okra and peppers one night. Have yet to see one now I have a cross bow! Ya, my tomatoes have been the best in many many years

My garden is small, 14’ x 14’, 5 rows. My tomatoes have gone absolutely ridiculous. You would think I had a small farm. Great news considering my other veggies are just doing average at best.

Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn’t go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.

90 quarts of Roma beans canned. Yellow squash still going strong after a month of picking. Plenty of zucchini. Okra looks great, tomatoes look good but the heat early has made a dramatic decrease in fruit set.