Gas or Electric motors and boat Registration

I have been doing my research and have come up with some unanswered questions. One of them being: If the motor is under 5 hp and is gas does it still have to be registered? Or are there different “cut offs” between small gas and electric motors? The reason why I ask is because I have a small 10ft john boat that was given to me and I want to get it running. Thanks in advance for any help.

18 Pioneer CC 115 Evinrude E-Tec

Semper Fi!

The boat has to be registered for any size motor…even an electric trolling motor.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

I agree with striperskiff. You do have to register your boat but not your motor if you are under 5 hp gas or electric. In SC you have to register both boat and motor if over 5 hp.

21’ CC SeaPro 150 yamaha

I recently had to get my kayak registered for an electric motor. Ditto on the above.

quote:
Originally posted by DillyDally

I recently had to get my kayak registered for an electric motor. Ditto on the above.

Where on SCDNR’s webiste does it say this is law? That sounds absurd, but I’ve never had anything to do with a kayak…

www.baturinphotography.com

yes, it sounds absurd, but its accurate
not sure where to find it, but if you are in doubt, just call them and ask
if its just paddle powered, you dont need to register
if its sail or motorized, electric, gas, steam, nuclear, coal, etc. it must be registered

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by DillyDally

Where on SCDNR’s webiste does it say this is law? That sounds absurd, but I’ve never had anything to do with a kayak…

www.baturinphotography.com

Absurd it is…Found this on the DNR site under Boat Registration.

“Registration - Watercraft propelled by any mechanized means must be registered in addition to being titled in the owners name.”

Then again, I could always just scan in the $200 ticket I received in my canoe w/elec trolling motor and post it here if you still have any doubt. :smiley:

Actually, they did drop it when I showed up at the magistrate with a registration on my court day, but still seems pretty absurd to even be on the books.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

There is a difference in registered and titled… All boats with motors gas or electric must be registered “meaning boat numbers or name” and…motors over 5 hp must be titled also

26’ Twinvee Cat
Twin Suzuki 175’s
www.creeksidemetalworks.com