Gas vs Electric

Is one cheaper than the other? I’m getting gas to the stove, hot water heaters, etc, but was wondering about other opportunities to use gas. For example, you can get gas lamps for your front porch (either side of the door). They look cool, but most people have electric. Is gas cheaper? If so, why do people elect to use electric everywhere?

NG grill. never run out of propane again

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

NG grill. never run out of propane again

Of course not, you wouldn’t be using propane… :smiley:

NG used to be the cheaper route, but not anymore. The advantage of using NG would be quicker recovery of hot water, near instant heat on stove, oven and heater, but honestly, electric is more energy efficient, so unless you need it fast, save money instead.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

That is until a storm comes through and knocks out the power! If you have gas, of whatever kind, you’re good!

Gas all the way:smiley:keep on fracking[:0][:0][:0]

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Gas lanterns are for looks only. They have to stay on all the time, unless you light them nightly and they dont give off that much light. A customer of mine had to have them. After fighting them for a year she replaced them with electric and her gas bill dropped almost $20 a month.
If you are worried about having gas during a storm, get a propane tank in the yard. Most municipalities turn off the gas in large storms, happened during Hugo.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

NG and Electric hookups for Clothes Dryer, Range, Cooktop, Wall ovens
NG Water heaters
NG Grill
NG Generator
NG Garage/Workshop Heater
NG Furnace
Electric AC

While Electric may be more efficient it is typically more expensive. For example a Gas water heater is around 85% efficient and costs around $258 to run a year (energy guide).
An electric water heater is 95%+ efficient but costs $500 a year to run (energy guide).
Adjust for your local Electric/NG market.

Great advice from all! Thanks!!!

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

NG Generator

Hmmm.... This house is a "drive under"... Are there any issues to running a NG line to the garage with the potential of putting in a generator in the future?

Keep in mind that NG is lighter than air and will tend to dissipate up through the attic. Propane on the other hand is heaver than air and can “pool” in basements and such. Be very careful with propane. Make darn sure the person doing the plumbing knows what he/she is doing.

ZX

NG furnace for sure. We have one, and the neighbor has electric. Our house recovers much faster if we turn it down from being out of town, isn’t a dry heat, and also our power bill is a good $50-$100 cheaper in the winter months.

Tankless water heater, stovetop gas, electric wall ovens, or dual fuel stove, furnace, and generator if applicable.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by tanksgt

Keep in mind that NG is lighter than air and will tend to dissipate up through the attic. Propane on the other hand is heaver than air and can “pool” in basements and such. Be very careful with propane. Make darn sure the person doing the plumbing knows what he/she is doing.

ZX

I don't want a tank, so mine would be coming from SCE&G... I'm assuming that is NG???
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by tanksgt

ZX

I don't want a tank, so mine would be coming from SCE&G... I'm assuming that is NG???
correct

Woo Hoo - an energy topic, love it, Certified Energy Manager in the house

• SCE&G supplies NG not propane, if you haven’t checked you need to make sure it is available, it’s not everywhere, and they may have some incentives
  • water heating - use a gas instant water heater, but you won’t have hot water during a power outage unless it’s connected to a generator, that is the one advantage of a gas water tank
  • dryer - gas if possible but compare the cost of the appliances, and the cost to run the gas line, for most people the amount of clothes drying won’t make a big difference, but the clothes do come out fluffier if that’s your thing
  • cooking - most folks don’t cook enough to make any difference, it’s a personal choice, real cooks demand gas
  • lamps - use electric, better light, no gas line to run
  • HVAC - gas heats a house quickly so setting the T-stat back is an effective $$ saver, can’t do that cost effectively with a heat pump, if you’ll have two units put gas down stairs and a heat pump upstairs
  • the real magic with HVAC is the unit sizing and the duct work, a unit that is too large costs much more to operate, unfortunately most are oversized, the quality of the duct system is critical, a low price job will get you garbage and you’ll pay for it each month in your love note from the power company
  • no problem with running the gas line any where you want, it’s only $$

What concerns me is no questions about the real important stuff. Maybe you already have the insulation, ventilation and infiltration items covered but that is where the real money is wasted or saved. Most of that occurs during construction.

Any specific questions just let me know

Pioneer 197SF

Fritz is away from the computer right not but texted me to add, “Pfffft, first world problems”

That is all.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

Woo Hoo - an energy topic, love it, Certified Energy Manager in the house

• SCE&G supplies NG not propane, if you haven’t checked you need to make sure it is available, it’s not everywhere, and they may have some incentives
  • water heating - use a gas instant water heater, but you won’t have hot water during a power outage unless it’s connected to a generator, that is the one advantage of a gas water tank
  • dryer - gas if possible but compare the cost of the appliances, and the cost to run the gas line, for most people the amount of clothes drying won’t make a big difference, but the clothes do come out fluffier if that’s your thing
  • cooking - most folks don’t cook enough to make any difference, it’s a personal choice, real cooks demand gas
  • lamps - use electric, better light, no gas line to run
  • HVAC - gas heats a house quickly so setting the T-stat back is an effective $$ saver, can’t do that cost effectively with a heat pump, if you’ll have two units put gas down stairs and a heat pump upstairs
  • the real magic with HVAC is the unit sizing and the duct work, a unit that is too large costs much more to operate, unfortunately most are oversized, the quality of the duct system is critical, a low price job will get you garbage and you’ll pay for it each month in your love note from the power company
  • no problem with running the gas line any where you want, it’s only $$

What concerns me is no questions about the real important stuff. Maybe you already have the insulation, ventilation and infiltration items covered but that is where the real money is wasted or saved. Most of that occurs during construction.

Any specific questions just let me know

Pioneer 197SF

Thanks for the info... Honestly, I don't know what questions to ask. I've never built a hou

And yes, we are doing the gas instant water heaters… I’ll ask about the HVAC… We are either doing 2 or 3 units… House is 2 full stories (not counting garage under) and then finished out attic… So that’s 3 stories or 2.5 however you want to count it…

how far along is the construction of the house?
if I understand it you’ve hired a contractor to oversee the construction, correct?

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

how far along is the construction of the house?
if I understand it you’ve hired a contractor to oversee the construction, correct?

Pioneer 197SF

They just framed in the 1st floor floor system and starting on walls today. Yeah, professional contractor is doing it.

NG heat is brutally dry and hot. I’m changing over to a heat pump upstairs soon.