generator Q

We have a generac dealer coming over this week to quote us for installation.
In the meantime I have my little champion generator. It has several 120v outlets, do I just run a regular extension cord up to what we want to run or do i need some kind of a converter?
Will use to run refrigerator and maybe TV

thank you

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t have any problems running the fridge, but I think that electronics like TVs, computers, modems, etc. can be picky about the quality of the power.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

Thats what I do. extension cord a power strip

quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8

Thats what I do. extension cord a power strip

Thanks guys, so a regular extension cord and power strip, no converter needed as its 120v output from gen?

thanks again

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

I run my tv and freezer with my little Honda no problem.Make sure your tv is set up to grab the signal out of the air.Cable ain’t gonna work.

Get a nice heavy gauge extension cord.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

Thx Sman and reelman, Im all set nw.

cheers

I got my Honda out this morning, ran it and now its all ready. That will almost guarantee me that we won’t need it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Make you a little cord with a dryer plug wired on the end of it 10/3 gauge wire. Plug into dryer outlet and shut the main off on your house. Then you’ll have both legs on your panel working.

23’ seacraft

quote:
Originally posted by interceptor4

Make you a little cord with a dryer plug wired on the end of it 10/3 gauge wire. Plug into dryer outlet and shut the main off on your house. Then you’ll have both legs on your panel working.

23’ seacraft

NOt if his generator is 120 only… But what you said is the easiest way in a pinch.

Also, good way to get killed. Make sure main is off 1st. Either, plug ends of cord into dryer and generator, then start generator. Or, plug dryer side in 1st, start generator, then plug into generator. Reason being, if generator is running, the other end of cord will have 240v, 30a hot.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

Ya I if you have a 240 option on your generator. I’m an electrician and just giving you my best advice if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

23’ seacraft

So, if my generator is 120/240, and I make a 10/3 line, shut off my main at the service panel and connect this line from my dryer outlet to my generator it will feed back into the service panel and provide power to all outlets? I’m not an electrician.

BE SURE TO TURN THE MAIN BREAKER IN YOUR PANEL OFF BEFORE ENERGIZING ANY CIRCUITS IN THE HOUSE WITH THE GENERATOR ;;; THE POWER CO LINEMEN DON’T LIKE SURPRISES FROM BACK FED CIRCUITS…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

These guys are all over it. Yes shut your main off first. If not you’ll back feed to your street and it won’t be good when the power company comes to make repairs. D freedom when you have both ends plugged in id shut every breaker off first. Turn on your dryer breaker and it will energize both sides of your panel. Turn on only the breakers you intend to use depending on the size of your generator you’ll probably only be able to run your fridge and and a couple of lighting circuits and outlets.

23’ seacraft

I’ll reiterate, MAKE SURE TO TURN THE MAIN BREAKER OFF if you back feed the panel with a generator. And I know you think it goes without saying, but make sure the generator is outside and not closed in a room or garage!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

So what all could you run with that set up?
Lights, outlets, frig, freezer, stove, oven, heat & air unit?

quote:
Originally posted by areeldrag

Yes,depending on what size generator you have.

Question, what happens if you have your generator hooked into your service panel and the power comes back on?

quote:
Originally posted by areeldrag

Depends on the running(continuous) watt rating of the generator. also what size wire you feed the panel with. Many factors here.

If you have a 120vac gen. at 3500 watt that’s 29.16 amps and will likely trip the 30 amp breaker if you tried to run it maxed out like that. Anything suspect to run 3 hours or more can only be rated at 80%, so that’s only 24 amps of usage. Play it safe and don’t try to over do any of it. Power up your fridge to save your food, probably 11-13 amps or so, a small fan and a few lights. If you have a small window unit to cool a room you could try to run it together but you may have to isolate them to cool the room then switch back to the fridge… all of this is of course on a small 3500 watt gen. A bigger gen can handle more.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Question, what happens if you have your generator hooked into your service panel and the power comes back on?

Nothing if the main breaker is turned off. If it is not turned off you will actually be back feeding the transformer at the street and potentially supplying voltage to the power lines that a lineman may be working on. Hence why I made clear to leave breaker off. In fact turn off all breakers and only use the few needed, then when power is restored, turn off all breakers, then turn back on the main then one-by-one turn back on the individual breakers again.