Getting back into it

I haven’t flyfished in salt for about 3 years now. My son is older now (8) and very much into fishing. We mint bass and bream fish te Linda near our house. We live in Myrtle Beach and are a golf cart ride from many golf course ponds as well as te beach. I be had good success with the fly rod the ponds but never could get very good in salt. Like I said I am in Myrtle Beach and looking for anyone who could point us in the right direction near here. No honey holes, just some general stuff. I have a 14 ft jon boat that’s great in the mesh. I spend more time fishing from a kayak but since the little man has taken to fishing I am going back to more not fishing. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

What?!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Sounds like he needs some pointers on catching the, ever elusive, Mint Bass, on the fly, after he gets out of fishing? Living at Myrtle Beach, a good blood worm imitation would be my guess?!

Haha. Sorry guys. Was typing on a phone while killing some time. I started to get into salt water fly fishing a few years back. Didn’t have much luck. Stopped for a while with a younger son wanting to fish, so we started fishing ponds mostly. He’s older, would like to give salterwater fly fishing another go. Tried murrells inlet area mostly but never had luck. Just asking for some pointers for this area to help the learning curve. Mostly fish from a kayak, but also have a jon boat if that provides better opportunities. I apologize for the blabbering gibberish earlier.

MB, it’s really no different than any other method of fishing. Find the fish. Unlike the bass in the pond, saltwater fish move around more. You still have to get the fly in front of them once you find them, but you can’t catch what’s not there.

Best advice I know, and since you have a kayak or boat, is go to places you want to try at dead low tide & scope out what the bottom looks like. This will be more exploring than fishing, but will give you a better idea if you should be fishing there. Look for places that might hold fish with more water in there such as structures ( an old pier for example), deeper holes & oyster shells or beds. Try Google maps & Google Earth too to look for places to try. They’ve helped me a lot with new places.

I’ve tried fly fishing behind Pawley’s a few times and so far with no success. I’ve been fly fishing saltwater for 50 years, and I still have to find the fish.

No one will likely give up their favorite spots, but there’s going to be places that will produce some fish, you just have to find them. I have had some success on baits in the past at Pawley’s just not with flies yet. I know there are fish that can be caught there. Same applies all along the coast.

Keep at it, put your time in & even if you’re not catching anything, at least you’ll be learning where not to fish. Perhaps not the pointers you’re looking for, but it’s how I’ve learned.

I tell folks all the time you learn more from your failures than from your successes. :wink:

Bigjim,
I appreciate all the info. I have tried pawleys once or twice a few years back with no success, but will continue to try. Love to fish so it’s fun just being on the water. One more question. I see so many discussing tailers on here and I have never seen one in my area. If not casting to tailing redfish would that mean you are mainly fishing creeks with clousers and streamer type flys?

Tailing fish would be sight casting, and otherwise you would be searching. IMO, Clousers, Seaducers, Deceivers are all good for searching. There are other good flies too. However, as I said, go & check out the area at the lowest tides to see what’s there. Not all creeks are going to hold fish, and some creeks are only going to have fish in them at certain tides, and there’s never any guarantee there’s going to be fish in them everyday.

Much of this with fly rods is more like hunting. You either setup in one area & let the fish come to you, which may not happen, or you search around & try to find them, which also may not happen.

Some years back I finally caught my first Redfish on a fly. I had, off & on tried for about 40 years, but opportunities were very limited. A friend of mine who lives on the Eastern Shore side of VA called me & said there were Redfish on grass flats near his home. Within 20 minutes of arriving, I had my first fly caught Red. I had caught them on bait & lures, just not on a fly. Since that year, my friend tells me they never came back to that area. The previous year, there were Reds well up into parts of MD, near where I lived at the time, even up in the Potomac & other rivers. No one really knows why they ventured that far north. There are big Reds that are caught nearly every year in the Chesapeake Bay, most being caught in deep channels & on bait. But the opportunities for fly caught Reds up that way are almost zero.

You have to keep putting in the time and effort. If it was easy, there would be 100 boats in the creeks, or no fish left to catch.

BTW, it might be a good idea to do your searching with lures or baits if you want, then switch to the fly gear when you find some fish. That way you can probably cover more water in a shorter time span. I would try something like one of the spinnerbaits used for Reds, and a Gulp shrimp, or Gulp Minnow type lure on the spinner.

I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into a response. All great info. Once or twice I have gone out only taking my fly gear to force myself to commit to catching one on the fly and not retreat to my normal tackle. However searching with a spinning rod to locate the fish is good advice. I will definitely be getting the time in now in search of my first red on the fly. Thanks again for all the great advice.

No problem, I hope it helps! I fish with all types of tackle. Went thru a time when I only fly fished too. Stubbornness mostly. Time & place for it all. I enjoy fishing and the fly fishing the most!

I wish I could tell you, go here or go there & you’ll catch some fish, especially if you’ll be fishing with your son, but can’t because I know of no such places.

Even in places I used to fish a lot back in MD, there were no such places that provided a sure thing. I could usually find some fish, just may not have been what I had intended to target. There were some tidal rivers I liked to fish for bass, and when they didn’t cooperate could usually find some panfish. I had been fishing those rivers for many years, so were very familiar with them.

That’s what you need to do. Just become familiar with the waters. The fish will come. :wink: