Getting Rid of Nutgrass

Got a good sized garden area (40’ x 120’) that is ate up with this stuff. Did not know what this was for awhile, but have found out that the more I tilled it, the more it spread. To the point that I have not planted a garden the last couple years. Well, it is alot of work as well:sunglasses:.

Anyway, I sprayed the whole area yesterday with Roundup and am wondering if it will kill the nut??

I thought about taking some of my dog kennel sections and creating a hog pen that could be moved as Miss Piggy roots em all up. Nutgrass gone, garden fertilized and cook a pig at the end:stuck_out_tongue:! Just don’t think I can talk the bride into the hog thing tho:smiley:!

Thanks for any advice,
NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Roundup won’t touch it. You need an herbacide called Nutsedge. It will wipe it out.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html?zmam=70093104&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=1348&gclid=CJrf39-CmcACFWwQ7AodtxIAaw

FYI if you get the larger bottle without the surfactant you will need to add it in to bind the agents. The easiest thing to get ahold of is liquid dish soap. Check the label on the soap to make sure it contains nonionic surfactant. Most good grease cutting concentrated soaps will.

2012 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc, Jackplate

quote:
Originally posted by bmarvil

Roundup won’t touch it. You need an herbacide called Nutsedge. It will wipe it out.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html?zmam=70093104&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=1348&gclid=CJrf39-CmcACFWwQ7AodtxIAaw

Thanks for the quick reply. Curious tho, is this something you read or do you have personal experience with this? I need it to kill the nut underground or it will keep coming back.

Thanks again!

NN

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

My best friend has a lawn care business in NC and I have used it myself from him recommending it. I had it bad at my old place in NC. Mine took two applications about a month apart to kill it all.

quote:
Originally posted by bmarvil

My best friend has a lawn care business in NC and I have used it myself from him recommending it. I had it bad at my old place in NC. Mine took two applications about a month apart to kill it all.

I could see the yellowing of the nutgrass already today after yesterdays application of the Roundup so I know it will kill the above ground leaves/blades.

Question is, did the nutgrass comeback the year after you sprayed/killed it? If so, the nut survived.

Not meaning to be critical, well sorta, just don’t want to waste time and money on this to no avail.

Thanks,
NN

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

It will come back from roundup spraying.

Mine did not come back. The roundup will affect everything above ground but it will not get down in and kill the root which is the problematic part of the nutsedge and what allows it to continue growing and spreading.

Sedgehammer is a good product, have used it often on nut grass,it will kill the hell out of it.Atrazine + Round-up will work too.

X3 on the Sedgehammer with the new binding agent. Pulling it out or tilling it will spread it like wildfire. A very tough weed to control. Even with Sedgehammer you’ll get a regrowth the next year. You have to keep killing it back each year, but at least it will not be as invasive year over year. Nutsedge works, but is very harsh on the other plants.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

We used Sedgehammer when I lived in Florida. Worked really well, just had to re-apply the following year. Third year, no regrowth

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

1 gallon of white vinegar…1 quart of epsom salt…1 cup of DAWN dishwashing liquid…fill rest of a 2.5 gallon sprayer with hot water, and shake to dissolve the epsom salt. It will kill it GONE (but will kill anything else it touches too!)

Since you’re not planting the garden anyway…Pramitol will sterilize the soil where nothing will survive.

Try a biological control instead of home liquid remedies or toxic chemicals. Go buy a half dozen vegan squirrels. They will eat the heck out of "nut"grass.

oh, I am just too funny for my own good.

j

Nuclear Waste

Woodfloats?

Haha, Thanks for all the info. It has all turned yellow/brown from the Roundup I hit it with. When it starts to green up again I will try the Sedgehammer.

By the way, I hope to plant a garden again next year in that spot.

Thanks again everyone!

NN

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/