Gheenoe mods

This is my first 'noe, a 2006 Classic pushed by a 15 Merc 2smoke, and I’ve had it for about a year now.

She’s going to get the full on flyfishing treatment, to include:

• raised and lengthened forward casting deck with hatch
  • false floor (will remove center seat)
  • rear casting deck
  • rear facing horizontal rod holders
  • LED courtesy lighting (blue) under the rubrails
  • poling platform (still undecided on exactly what to do here - custom aluminum work to go above and just forward of motor or just a shorty platform in front of motor)
  • tiller extension (carbon marine???)
  • possibly a sissy stick that would be removable from it’s base)
  • Sea deck/Hydroturf everywhere

A friend of mine made all the decks for me from patterns I provided him, so essentially I’m just cutting out what I don’t want and bonding the decks back down. I’ve never done any sort of work like this before, so it is a bit intimidating (and I’ll probably have a million questions).

Here we go…

First cut…

Looks like a cool project, Jerms. Please keep us posted on your progress!

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

You holler if you need me. I can fetch tools and point out what you’re doing wrong with the best of em.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

You’d be doing a lot of pointing…

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.

• Flatscaster

I can also go get beer.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I think that’s my old boat. Put a great 4 years on it and sold it to a guy in Mt. Pleasant. If that is it my son’s first fish came over that gunnel.

Cayman - I picked this up from a gentleman in Titusville, FL. Haven’t seen but a few others around town here.

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.

• Flatscaster

Jerms, just so you know I trade out power sander operation for bow time.

ambitious! I like it

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

looking good buddy what did you make the decks out of… Marine Ply? Let me know if you need any input / help… there are a few small things I would have done different when I decked mine. If your boat still has the metal rub rail its a good time to switch to the updated rubber ones. I got some Marine epoxy, filler and some Cloth left over from the drift boat build for cheap if you need it.

Thanks everyone.

Working on it more this afternoon - the back deck has been dry-fit. Still need to do a little bit of shaping along the forward edges and bilge access areas so that I can get a good glassing there.

Also, I’ve my rod tubes and will be dry fitting them today. Shotgun style, so they are going in under the rear deck and will draw out from the front. No more standing up front on the casting deck and having to run to the back or hand the rod back to someone else to put it up.

The tubes are golf bag sleeves with a PVC fitting grommet for the bulkhead.

More pics soon.

• Flatscaster

Jake, these decks were made for me by a friend from patterns I sent him. It is some type of composite corecell foam, vacuum bagged and glassed on both sides. Tough, lightweight stuff!

• Flatscaster

How expensive was it to have those corecell decks made?

Looking good so far. You should definitely get with Cracker Larry… that guy is awesome! He can answer any and all questions you might have.

j

17 Malibu CC
88 'rude

The decks were made as a favor from a friend, so I couldn’t answer how much it would cost to pay someone to make them.

• Flatscaster

Well good deal, looks good so far.

Once the false floor is installed there won’t be enough room to slide a standard size 6 gallon tank under the rear deck, so I had to find a low profile one online. It was delivered yesterday and the dry fitting was successful. Rod tubes have been made and dry fit, almost ready to epoxy down the rear deck cap.

• Flatscaster

Cool project. One suggestion. You need to grind off all that splatter paint and gelcoat down to bare fiberglass before epoxying and glassing down the decks. Don’t want to glue it to paint and gelcoat.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Looks like your weight is going to be neutral (not adding any more weight than you are removing). Excellent. As suggested, don’t epoxy to any top coat material (paint, gelcoat, etc…).

5 gallons of gas will fish that 15hp 2 banger ALL weekend long. Nice!!! :wink:

Yep, will he grinding down to fiberglass at all points where epoxy or resin will be going.

Any suggestions for topside coating when I am done (geology, awlgrip, etc)? I will be putting seadeck/hydroturf down on most of the flat surfaces.

• Flatscaster