Going down the Cooper to Charleston, small boat

I have a classic Boston Whaler Montauk 17, a 1985 model and I want to take it down the Cooper to Charleston and run around the harbor and so forth. Think it will be OK in the harbor? Anyone else run a BW like this?

growing up we had a 15’ scout (152 bayboat) and fished the jetties almost every weekend or went to morris island or ran up the ICU to Capers Is. A 17’ BW will have zero problems. obviously if it’s really windy or something i wouldn’t suggest getting beat to hell, but it’s definately doable. just check the forecast that’s all.

I’ve seen people at the jetties in an aluminum jon boat. I think you’ll be fine in your BW. It can get choppy when the wind kicks up and there are a lot of boats on the water.

When you come out of the Cooper, hang a right and go run your people by the battery; that’s what most people want to see anyways. You’ll pass waterfront park and the aquarium on the way there. People love it. Keep going past the battery and show them all the fancy boats in the downtown marinas. Up the Ashley until you see Brittlebank Park on the right and you can say, “That’s the Riverdogs Stadium right there. Bill Murray is probably in there right now!” Turn around and putt by the Yorktown and then back towards home. Fort Sumter isn’t much to look at from the water. Don’t bother heading there unless its calm out. Its worth seeing, but not worth getting your guests beat up for.

If you’re in the harbor in the afternoons, chances are there will be 10-15mph winds chopping it up a little along with all the local boat traffic. Use good judgement and you’ll be fine. The big boats have the right of way; look out.

If you’re crazy and you love being on top of lots of people, take them up Shem Creek. If you do this, make sure you have all your safety stuff easily available. Lots of people here and DNR checks frequently, especially on nice busy weekends.

Good luck!