going to try the grillage tthis afternoon

Anyone have any tips beyond fish in the water or put you lure where there is water, I would be appreciative. I am going to take out my hightide and fish the grillage for the first time today after work. I think its just the red bouy off the fort that I am supposed to fish around. Is that correct? Any advice is welcomed

thanks!!!

Bryant
14’High Tide w/ 50
Tarpon 120
Bayou 120
Bgardner@ncgs.com

Use a reef anchor if you have one… Grillage is famous for steeling anchors. Apart from that all the typical things you can read a 1,000 times over on bait selection, gear to have on hand etc. If your not getting action in the grillage pull up and go to dynamite hole.

Also the grillage is not the red bouy off the fort - it’s closer to land on the north side. I’ll PM you the GPS coordinates I have saved for it on google earth.

Heavy leaders, strong hooks and half blue crab or the biggest mullet you can find…and hang on.

Be very careful anchoring small boats there. The ships that roll through there put up a big wake. Always, always be watching out for it. Seriously.

www.baturinphotography.com

wind is laying down, but it is still coming out of the NE which is right in your unprotected face right there…be careful and like 23 said, the bigger the equipment the better…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I dropped you an email with a bunch of info for that area. Enjoy and good luck.

Thanks y?ll! You think I am being risky by going out there in a 14 ft high tide w a 50?

Bryant
14’High Tide w/ 50
Tarpon 120
Bayou 120
Bgardner@ncgs.com

quote:
Originally posted by BrGard

Thanks y?ll! You think I am being risky by going out there in a 14 ft high tide w a 50?

i will say that tomorrow afternoon will prolly be a lot better weather conditions than today…

I hear that’s a magical spot that grillage. where is this place?

Bring big gear - was out there Friday for the incoming tide… place was covered with bull sharks, bigoleslappin rays and few reds.

Where’s the report?

You have to catch fish to give a report! :slight_smile: Unfortunately that wasnt the case last night.

I didnt get on the water until 6:30 and when I got out to the jetties I had a change of mind, it got spooky, and I noticed a lot of water out beyond the land. So I turned around and treated it as a joy ride.

My passenger was as green as it gets on boats. The ocean was perfect but he didnt like going on plane lol. I think I had his addrenaline running when I was just sipping a cold one, having a cig, and enjoying the sunset cruise lol.

Ended up fishing around pitt st bridge’s little island. Got one nice bite at my one little honey hole. But lost him half way to the boat. :/. Then about 10:00 we went ahead in to shem creek and went up past the landing. As im not fully familiar with the entrance, I was taking it slow. When another boat passed us, I got up on plane and followed him in. You would have thought I was balls to the walls in my passengers mind. He was like slow down, slow down. I was like, nope, I got to follow this guy in and its a lot faster than put puting watching the depthfinder.

I guess he didnt realize the other boat probably drafted what my boats entire height is. Needless to say my buddy gave me some good laughs and I gave him a hell of a night. He said he wasnt sure if he was going to be able to go to sleep from all the adrenaline. poor fella, anyways in the back of shem creek we heard and saw a lot of fishing action, but couldnt get a bite… They were tearing up the shad

Bryant
14’High Tide w/ 50
Tarpon 120
Bayou 120
Bgardner@ncgs.com

quote:
Originally posted by BrGard

I noticed a lot of water out beyond the land

you mean the ocean? :smiley:

and yea, for your first time fishing that area I would not have recommended it after dark…but at least you got out!

You shoulda looked for some dock lights…

Well I was good and on plane and I sparked my spot light and noticed I was headed for someone shrimp poles. So I then went to turtle speed out of caution and respect.

And the big water would be in reference to the ocean. Im not scared any any aspect. But I find im more cautious as I get older :wink:

Bryant
14’High Tide w/ 50
Tarpon 120
Bayou 120
Bgardner@ncgs.com