Golf cart charger

So I have an OLD 36V club cart ('84 model) that the charger crapped out on, and it costs as much or more to repair as it would for a brand new ($300ish). Does anyone have a good source for after market chargers. I bought one off amazon claiming to work for CC but the plastic part of the plug was too wide to fit the receptacle and I have no idea if the crow’s foot would have fit since I could not plug it in. It’s just used to putter around in the evenings with the kids and I’m looking into getting a gas cart (will not get another electric one the batteries are such a PIA) soon so I don’t want to buy a new charger with about 30pct of the carts value on a good day lol.

Can you just swap the plastic plug part to fit on the new charger wires? Is it the “Anderson plug” type or the round? Or did I misread your post?

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Can you just swap the plastic plug part to fit on the new charger wires? Is it the “Anderson plug” type or the round? Or did I misread your post?

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

I probably could have done that, but instead of transporting the dead charger back home from NMB where I had a shop there check it out for me I asked them to dispose of the carcass after they showed me the cooked board (it had 18/36 and full charge led’s on it) that was going to cost more than a new one to replace. The plug was gray plastic on that model and is flat with the crows foot type plug. The one I bought from amazon had a black plastic (not thinking their color coded but just in case) with what appeared to be the correct foot, but the plastic was just too big to fit in the receptacle and I didn’t want to modify it with the dremmel just yet. I found another on amazon claiming to fit so I’ll try it and I will look into another plug if I can find something else. It being so old there not a lot of components (no ECM type stuff to blow)in the system of the cart so I believe as long as it’s putting out 36v it should be fine? Can anyone confirm as such? The lower output of 6 amp in the replacement charger I know will take longer than the 14 or 18 the old one was, but it should still work until I can find a suitable gas replacement cart… I hope lol

You gonna talk or FISH!

You could use a car charger and charge them in pairs (I think that has 6 6v). Here’s a step by step:
https://goneoutdoors.com/charge-golf-cart-automotive-battery-charger-12019223.html

quote:
Originally posted by mstewar

You could use a car charger and charge them in pairs (I think that has 6 6v). Here’s a step by step:
https://goneoutdoors.com/charge-golf-cart-automotive-battery-charger-12019223.html

Thank you that’s what I’ve been doing but some folks don’t get the whole they have to all charge before you drive it again thing lol!!

You gonna talk or FISH!

Maybe try Charlie at Town and Country Golf Carts? 617 W Main St, Moncks Corner, SC 29461

(843) 761-7473

They may have a used Charger or be able to swap out the plug. They’ve treated me well. Traded my old one in and the new one quit, they came all the way to Walterboro to fix it no charge. A good charger is not cheap.

My wife is trying to shed this in the Camden area. Its still for sale despite being listed as sold. Price negotiable and comes with a working charger. No batteries, not working when parked but I think it was solenoid issues. Motor to my knowledge was still fine. No guarantees and is sold “as is” Sounds like your cart is similar era. Might be a good parts cart or a project for someone. I have over $1000 in tires and rims and $1250 in lift kit. Another $1,000 in misc. cosmetic and upholstery etc.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/483677439100917/

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

I have an Accusense charger, paid around 300 for it. I would look into one of those. They don’t just charge and shut off if not used for a long time, they will keep a trickle charge going to keep batteries from draining while just sitting there after initial charge is done.