Good News For You Offshore Guys

Legislation provides state Red Snapper regulations, access in state waters

Columbia, S.C. – With virtually no opposition, the South Carolina General Assembly passed legislation last week that makes it legal for recreational anglers to harvest red snapper in South Carolina state waters on those occasions when they encounter them. The new legislation sets state harvest regulations for the first time on the popular species at two fish per person per day, a 20-inch minimum size limit, and allows for harvest year-round in state waters.

In the South Atlantic region, South Carolina joins Florida and Georgia in providing access and legal harvest of the fish in state waters, leaving only North Carolina without state regulations. Supporters of the legislation expect it to be signed by Governor McMaster and go into effect upon his signature instead of the traditional July 1st date of similar legislation.

“This was a needed first step for South Carolina to address a problematic fishery issue that is well over a decade in the making. And there are certainly more steps that need to be taken,” said Tombo Milliken, CCA SC Government Relations Committee Chairman.

Anglers throughout the South Atlantic are frustrated after nearly 15 years of greatly reduced access to red snapper by the federal fisheries management process. The fishery has been a lightning rod in fisheries management since 2008, when federal managers conducted the first modern stock assessment on the species in the South Atlantic Region and discovered that the stock was so overfished that consideration was given to closing all bottom fishing in a massive area of the South Atlantic to avoid red snapper mortality. Due to federal regulations permitting little to no effort by anglers for years, the population has swung so much in the other direction that anglers now report it is increasingly difficult to catch anything else.

Compounding the issue, as the population expands anglers are encounte

Thats great news. Now all I gotta do is talk Ms Fisher into a bigger boat.

Reds became a pest. The big ones would wrestle you for 30 minuted and we had to let them go. They quickly became like cockroaches. Will be nice to put some on the freezer Any word if the commercial is still closed? They have a strong lobby !

It is my hope that CFC can recover from the damage done by the trouble makers . I do not miss the vile name calling and insulting posters

So happy to hear this!!! We’ve been dealing with these endangered ARS for several years lol. about impossible to target grouper with the amount of these fish any area we try. Wish they would also consider increasing the number of BSB, these fish are plentiful to say the least, plus have seen many juvenile ARS in their guts., they have a relentless appetite. Creel limit needs to increase from current 7 raise to 10 or 12 for good fish fry and justification for a 20 mile to the banks fuel cost trip (thanks Joe! you are so awesome!!!) :sunglasses: Plan to go Sunday for some bottom critters and early kings.:sunglasses:
:sunglasses::sunglasses:

Kencraft 23T twin 175f Suzuki's

This is great news!! I wonder over the last several years how many were caught and released only to become shark food?

I’d like to know how DNR came up with ARS being endangered in the first place. Next lest drop the size and increase Creel limit on BSB.

Anybody catch the really important part about how this is ONLY IN STATE WATERS?

0-3mi, there are a few there though

Sorry, missed that part. Surely all the big ones will be farther out. Oh well, good intentions.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I do not believe I have ever caught an ARS and Waters less than 80 ft especially 20 in… and there’s no water that deep 3 mi out fishing out of Little River

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Read the fine print. How many ARS are inside of state waters? There are probably some though.

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Officer Friendly In the DNR boat "Yes Mr. Fisher, those are some really nice ARS’s you have there

EF “I know, I would have never thought they would be stacked up at the Edisto 40 like that…I swear, go figure.”

Officer Friendly in the DNR boat “Thanks Mr. Fisher, have a nice day.”

and scene

I got to call a couple people back… dang it. That made my day, at first. Fillet and release?

that just makes me wonder Who DNR has been checking that’s catching so many ARS in state waters? Something is just not adding up and really never has in the ARS issue. This must just be some sort of appeasement for a law they know is not fair.

The whole ARS issue was brought up originally by Holly Binns of the pew foundation. They wanted to protect Warsaw grouper and speckled hind and to do so they lobbied to close fishing from 90” all the way to Europe. They almost got their way too! The commercial fishing lobby pushed the liberal SAFMC and we ended up with some huge MPA”s including an area in 600 ‘ at Georgetown hole. The compromise was to close ARS and speckled hind and Warsaw’s. Funny thing about MPA s They never re open. The fishing community wanted to rotate the closed areas every 5 years or so but that will never happen. When the Leo writes a citation the burden of proof that a crime was committed is on his shoulders. He must prove where the fish was caught. I expect the courts will see some test cases soon

It is my hope that CFC can recover from the damage done by the trouble makers . I do not miss the vile name calling and insulting posters