Good Spots for Catching bait in Charleston Harbor

So, I’m relatively new to fishing down here in charleston. And I eventually would like to work out from fishing inshore to fishing over the reefs and offshore. But I’m having trouble finding bait. Do y’all know any good spots to catch any of the baitfish? Any information is welcome

1 Like

Welcome.

Do you know how to throw a castnet?

1 Like

flat on the ocean side of fort sumter is good for menhaden

mouths of small feeder creeks near low tide for finger mullet and shrimp

up in the small feeder creeks with a minnow trap around low tide, set in the pools that are cut off by the tide

scout everything around low tide, preferably with small tides and calm conditions, that way you can mark hazards but also mark places with no hazards where you can safely throw a net when the tide is in farther (muddy edges where small creeks meet bigger ones are key for this)

top tools for bait catching are a 5-6’ cast net of 3/8" mesh, a wire minnow trap, a “flow troll” minnow bucket, and a large mesh long handled dip net for scooping crabs. a sturdy pair of gloves, oyster knife, flat bar, and a screwdriver for the weirder stuff is also a must have in my kit

2 Likes

I do I’m working on throwing a 12 ft but I can throw a 6 ft.

Well said and dead on. The greasy skin from fried chicken will fill up a minnow trap quickly

nailed it. bait and drop trap, eat chicken, drink a beer, check trap, go fishing.

unless the tide is all wrong, minnow traps should do their job in a matter of minutes

2 hours either side of low tide

Great stuff Barbawang, thanks so much for your info.