Good start to the day

The job I’m working at is barefoot landing behind the House of blues.
For some reason I took the long way this morning down highway 31.
Hit the exit for water Tower road . Standing in the middle of the road is a bear and a cub. Mama went one way and the baby went the other way…
I stopped a couple hundred feet past where they crossed. Sat and waited about 10 minutes with my camera already. Figured mama bear or the Cub would cross the road again. But they didn’t. Had to go. Pretty cool I’ve never seen a bear in the wild before.
I imagine wouldn’t be nothing nice about hitting a bear on a bike at about 80mph.

I knew they were down that way but haven’t heard of too many people spotting any.

1 Like

There was a momma and two cubs showing up on some game cams a few weeks ago in my area. Got to see some pics that were between Canady’s and Grover. Then some more got posted on Facebook. Wonder if its the same that traveled that far? I’ve heard they can have a pretty long range of travel.

I’ve never seen one in the Wild in S.C. Either. My Brothers got a couple hundred acres Off hwy 21 not far from Black Creek Road and has got to see a couple on his property coming off Elgerbar Plantation (formerly Big Survey Plantation).

I remember supplying the hounds at big survey,good times.Plenty of bears around Berkeley county.They are very palatable but remember Loose lips sink ships.haha There’s a season in Horry ,Georgetown and Williamsburg county.

1 Like

We own 90 acres in Pickens County, just across the line, Saluda River, on hwy 183. I’ve seen plenty of Black Bears there. Never hunted them though.

Talked with Tammy? With SCDNR a couple of years back, on a hog hunt.

She said that SCDNR was relocating " nuisance" bears down to Abbeville, and releasing them.

Only took them a couple of weeks to be back home.

Yes, they are travellars.

1 Like

No kidding! Me and my cousins used to ride horses all over that place. My Dad used to hunt there when I was little. I remember when they would butcher the deer after the hunt, they would put all the meat in different bundles and draw a number for it. You Remember “Mutt” Terry? He passed a year ago I think he was 101 or 102. Worked on that Plantation all his life. I used to have access to the pond, but since Elgerbar took over they don’t let many people on the land. My Uncle Elijah Hiott used to work on that plantation, the Bluff, and Cherokee. He lived on Cavanaugh Road and used to cut hair on the weekends.

I used to hunt/camp Big Survey when I was a lil tyke, that place has nice deer and more fox squirrels than anywhere I’ve ever seen , if I had a nickel for every round of .22 I’ve shot out there, I wouldn’t have had to work this week haha… My buddy still does some of their grounds work I’m pretty sure. Haven’t talked to him in too long, think I’ll give him a shout today :+1:

My Dad had a 12 acre place off Edward road that butted up to big survey. Some really nice bucks taken off that small plot and a lot of fat Nannies. They have really thinned the Pines on that place. Yes sir a lot of fox squirrels in that area. Need two people to get them, one to walk around the tree and bring them around to the shooter. They are smart. I remember My Uncle taking me out there some evening just to look at all the deer around the big house. Crazy how many you could see after dark. Some of the bigger bucks I’ve seen taken around this area were in a little bottom on the Right side of Black Creek Church. I remember Dad shooting three for three running past him, reloading and and getting two more. Not once in my life do I remember my dad missing anything, shotgun or rifle. I’ve put more miles on my dirt bike around that area and had Charlie Bell after me for doing so. Wonder what happened to Charlie? He used to be big into horse racing.

We never killed many fox squirrels cause we never tried that technique maybe ha. Did wear out the grey ones. Good times back then, we would wait til the adults got drunk then we could get loose ourselves, guess we were mid teens during that time. We spent the summer going back and forth from there and Rainy Acres Bird Preserve where we used to clean the birds for the big wigs after their “guided hunts” for pheasants chuckers and quials … man those were good times…

Very cool. From what my friends at DNR tell me, Horry has a very healthy black bear population.

One of my supervisors used to love hunting for bear. He had a big party and had most of our squadron over and did some bear meat he killed in Minnesota. Reminded me a little of pork. Very good. He said the best Bear is to catch them after they have had an exclusive diet of blueberries. Render their fat down and fry the meat in the fat. He said you could taste the berry flavor. ?? He also gave me my first taste of Elk and prong horn. Elk is the beef of the wild, the prong horn was ok.

Beautiful morning so far!! If it only never got colder than this.

What the hell I could have reached out and whacked them in the head with a shovel.
They’re lucky I didn’t have more time I might have invited a couple of them home for dinner

2 Likes

Love to see those long beards. In the low country we learn quickly not to hen call too much or Wiley Coyote will show up