Got hooked and need tips.

I was down in Key Largo on vacation and decided to go on a offshore fishing charter for Mahi with my dad. 10/10 was the best experience ever. Now im back in CHS and my dad who got hooked on fishing bought two new rod and reels, topwater plugs and lots new tackle. We got skunked 4 times in the harbor. Three times at Castle Pinckney and once under the ravenel bridge. Though, today was mayhem, 5 baby blacktip sharks, 2 medium sized rays, a croaker, and two large bluefish. All on the wando side of Castle Pinckney on the incoming tide in about 4 hours time. For the outgoing tide we moved to a creek mouth next to Plum Island and reeled in a 2 ft blacktip in about 2 hours time. Weather was 70 degrees, light showers, heavy cloud coverage. We plan to continue to fish Castle Pinckney on the incoming tide and move up the Wando on the outgoing tide. Eventually we want to work our way to the jetties and master that. My main question is how do we continue to have days such as today, is it all about the tide, the weather and the location. Where can we fish on sunny and dry days near the harbor, or on the outgoing tide when the bite slows? Where else near the harbor is good for fishing and when are they prime locations? Lastly, what are the best tips for moving to fish at the jetties? Thanks in advance! We are very new to fishing and tips would be appreciated!

What kinda boat ya got?

quote:
Originally posted by staystrapped

What kinda boat ya got?

Scout 175 Sportfish

You just have to put in the time. Different spots different times of the tide. Make a little log book. And put down what tide & location. And just work from their try different spots keep moving around. If you tried Creek x at high tide & did not catch anyting. Try it at a different time in the tide. Get a (spot chart) they have areas marked . They’re commonly known areas. But they usually will produce some fish.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Oops there called top spot

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

WHAT CRAIG SAID ^^^^^ GOOD INFO AND GOOD CHARTS, TIME ON THE WATER MATTERS…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Haddrells is having an inshore class coming up. That will definitely cut your learning curve. There is a fee I’m pretty sure but its a lot more than a typical seminar. Instructors that I have seen are among the best in town

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

I’ll take you out to the jetties. You can tag along or follow me out, up to you. You’ll need a good anchor or trolling motor out there. I use a trolling motor with the anchor feature to keep me close to the jetties. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

yeah, it seems to be the spot at castle pinckney on incoming tide between the two light posts on the wando side provide fish no matter what. i went out again yesterday with a friend and it was mayhem again, pulling in 5 more baby sharks, 2 slot spotted trout, 1 of which we took home to eat and it was absolutely delicious, 2 small bluefish, a ladyfish, and a dinner plate sized flounder that broke off 3 ft from the boat. It went silent when the tide switched and after that we only dragged in 5 stingrays. Thanks for the advice

quote:
Originally posted by Off the chain

You just have to put in the time. Different spots different times of the tide. Make a little log book. And put down what tide & location. And just work from their try different spots keep moving around. If you tried Creek x at high tide & did not catch anyting. Try it at a different time in the tide. Get a (spot chart) they have areas marked . They’re commonly known areas. But they usually will produce some fish.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

how do i find out more about this class?

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

Haddrells is having an inshore class coming up. That will definitely cut your learning curve. There is a fee I’m pretty sure but its a lot more than a typical seminar. Instructors that I have seen are among the best in town

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Thanks so much for the offer, i might let try it after a while of fishing in the harbor more! How good of an anchor do you mean and how much feet of line will we need?

quote:
Originally posted by flywatt

I’ll take you out to the jetties. You can tag along or follow me out, up to you. You’ll need a good anchor or trolling motor out there. I use a trolling motor with the anchor feature to keep me close to the jetties. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

There is no substitute for time on the water. Like Optiker suggested, take the class that Haddrell’s is offering. You asked how do you find out more about it. How about calling Haddrells? Hire a guide who knows the area. Ask him questions and pay attention. Keep in mind that fishing knowledge and skill come more through evolution than revolution. It takes time. Be patient. Keep the faith.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

There are a lot of variables for the jetties. Nothing beats a good trolling motor with the anchor feature. It does all the work for you.

The inside of the jetties is deep water. 20+ feet of water. The outside is shallow, 4-6ft, and in some areas as low as 2 feet at low tide. I prefer to fish on the outside of the jetties. Great mix of fish on the outside, including sheephead, red drum, trout, shark (if you’re into that), black drum (occasionally). I even caught a pompano out there this year! I haven’t seen it myself, but I’ve heard of tarpon being out there occasionally.

I pick my jetty days carefully. 2 days before and after a full moon seem to be the best days in my experience. The full moon has a calming effect on the water and brings higher tides. I usually wont bother if the winds are in excess of 10 kts and seas more than 2ft. I have the best luck fishing the jetties 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide. Slack tide (the time when the water stands still before the tide shifts) tends to slow down, but the action usually turns back on when the tide starts moving again.

As for the anchor, it really depends on the winds and tides. I can’t offer much good advice for the best way to anchor. Tried it a few times and lost both anchors. There’s a lot of rocks on the bottom, and they like to eat anchors. I have seen some people use a cinder blocks instead of anchors. They snag the cinder block, then cut it free when they’re done. Personally, I’m not a fan of that. Leave it how you found it is my motto. Hopefully less a few fish for the dinner table. :smiley:

The worst case scenario is finding your boat beating against the rocks. It’s not a bad idea to have a spare anchor just in case you lose one. Always be ready to fire up the engine and move if you need to. Handheld VHF radio on my belt and life jackets are mandatory when I go to the jetties.

Like I said, lots of variables. But it’s worth it. The jetties produce fish. Every single time. If you’re not catching fish out there, you’re doing somethi

I agree with everything flywyatt said about the jetties. I’m pretty new at this as well but I do know to not mess with riding out there unless we know we can setup outside. I’m in a 25 foot bay boat and if it’s over 10 knot winds we stay inshore. I’m not getting tossed around and breaking crap to catch a 35" red vs a 20" inshore.

On an outgoing tide all kinds of nutrients, bait, and fish are draining out of the harbor and the rivers that feed it. Expect to see 3-5 MPH current mid tide on the inside, so if you plan on bottom fishing there you need a bunch of lead to get to the bottom and a crap ton more to stay put. I snip the barbs out my circle hooks out there, just makes it easier when you do get a fish boat side.

I’d also come prepared with popping corks, throw one up in the rocks and just let it sit. If you find the tide line, I’d throw a popping cork on the edge of that as well. Fresh bait goes a long ways. You can hook them live and also cut it up. We try to start with both fresh cut and live, adjusting based on the action.

If you really get into it, a trolling motor with spot lock is well worth the investment. You can “find” the fish sitting in the same spot for a real long time sweating your tail off or you bounce around spot to spot every 15 minutes. Trolling motor is a two minute operation to set “anchor” and also haul it out. Anchoring with chain and rode is a different story.

quote:
Originally posted by kgearhart

I agree with everything flywyatt said about the jetties. I’m pretty new at this as well but I do know to not mess with riding out there unless we know we can setup outside. I’m in a 25 foot bay boat and if it’s over 10 knot winds we stay inshore. I’m not getting tossed around and breaking crap to catch a 35" red vs a 20" inshore.

On an outgoing tide all kinds of nutrients, bait, and fish are draining out of the harbor and the rivers that feed it. Expect to see 3-5 MPH current mid tide on the inside, so if you plan on bottom fishing there you need a bunch of lead to get to the bottom and a crap ton more to stay put. I snip the barbs out my circle hooks out there, just makes it easier when you do get a fish boat side.

Do I understand what you’re saying here? The outside of the jetties on the outgoing tide is very low current, while the inside is ripping?

Also, those that set up on the outside…how to you get out there? Is there a super reliable (safe) way over the submerged rocks in front of Sullivans or do you drive all the way out and back around the tips?

Also, those that set up on the outside…how to you get out there? Is there a super reliable (safe) way over the submerged rocks in front of Sullivans or do you drive all the way out and back around the tips?

You can run close to the beach and turn out around the lighthouse once you get past submerged jetty line. Be careful as there is a shallow area as you come round the point that you have to stay inside off. Also where the tide is makes a difference, so take it easy until you have your route mapped out

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:
Pathfinder 25 Hybrid

I prefer the south jetty. I get out through dynamite hole. It’s marked by a gated pair of buoys. I have been to the jetties in multiple occasions where the conditions inside are worse than the conditions outside. I can also say the opposite has been true. Still, I prefer to fish outside.

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Kiosk Do I understand what you're saying here? The outside of the jetties on the outgoing tide is very low current, while the inside is ripping?

Yeah that’s generally my experience especially when you get in the straightaway.

I don’t cross the submerged sections, although I understand people do it successfully. Gas is cheap compared to a new lower unit or fiberglass damage so I don’t risk it.