grass

When they put down a side walk in my neighborhood the scums tossed out seeds for the same grass on the side of the high way. What kind of grass can I seed in that would choke off the stuff that is growing? I cut grass one day and 3 days later the stuff by the sidewalk is 4 inches high. I don’t want that stuff taking over the yard. It’s the grass with the stems with the black stuff at the top. I don’t care about the street side, just on the yard side.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

If you have centipede grass, you can try this. St Augustine will be stunted. Pretty sure it will kill zoysia.

Check the application as the info above is based on what I remember from a few years ago. If you are like me you have a grass this herbicide will kill.

Thought this might help.

Poast®
Herbicide
ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
Sethoxydim: 2-[l-(ethoxyimino)butyl]-5-[2-(ethythio)propyl]-3- hydroxy-2-cyclohexen-1-one*… 18.0% INERT INGREDIENTS: … 82.0%
TOTAL… 100.0%

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

When they put down a side walk in my neighborhood the scums tossed out seeds for the same grass on the side of the high way. What kind of grass can I seed in that would choke off the stuff that is growing? I cut grass one day and 3 days later the stuff by the sidewalk is 4 inches high. I don’t want that stuff taking over the yard. It’s the grass with the stems with the black stuff at the top. I don’t care about the street side, just on the yard side.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

they seeded with Bahia grass, once established it is extremely hard to choke out with another turf grass, that is why its used on road shoulders and in sidewalk construction. My advice is to nuke it with glyphosate, and re-seed with Bermuda or centipede or St.Augie, or whatever you have established throughout the rest of the yard.

Poast will get it if you have centipede,its more commonly known as Vantage in your local stores.Poast is the agricultural label.In bermuda multiple applications of MSMA will take it out.Bahia is persistant.

Get your reseeding plan together before you nuke anything. Seed is expensive and I believe St.Aug and Centipede are not recommended for seeding but plugs or sod instead…even pricier.

First, Most, Biggest

Anyone heard of the new Colorado blend grass… It must be burnt off daily…

RBF

Carolinacoot, PM sent.

If your grass is growing 4" a day (or seems like it) right now it’s either annual ryegrass or winter wheat. If it’s already been seeding out you’re screwed. It’s going to come back every late fall, hang around not looking too obtrusive until about March, then grow absolutely battchitt crazy until about the first of June. Unless you’re willing to invest in a re-do you’re in a bad spot. Moreover, you’re going to spread the seeds and it will encroach on the rest of your lawn. You can take it out chemically, but it ain’t easy or cheap

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

Anyone heard of the new Colorado blend grass… It must be burnt off daily…

RBF

Heard of it:smiley:,I need to get some and see what the outcome will be.:smiley:

Double D.

Hoppy I can cut grass on Monday and by Thursday that stuff the threw seeds out for is about 3 to 4 inches high in spots. At close inspection some of it is 1/8" wide blade grass and the rest looks like road side grass. Think I’ll just buy a gallon of round up and spray it. After it dies off then I’ll buy some seed that matches my yard and seed it good.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Bahia grass can be killed out a lawn with the use of Allied or Cimarron. These are target specific herbicides. I think Opossums can sell it to you, I buy through amazon.

Note: 2 oz of this will cover 4 acres of land. Use grains of this product per 1 gallon of water, add a tablespoon of Dawn. Treat only the sections that contain Bahia, and retreat every single time you see a seed head come up. Seeds can stay in the soil for years and come back. This will not be a simple one time thing. During this, keep a mid level of a simple 10-10-10 fertilizer over the whole yard.

Also, use “Dawn” not whatever you have. Dawn is a non Ionic surfactant, many others are not and it makes a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Cimarron-Plus-Pasture-Herbicide-Metsulfuron/dp/B01CIJCI4G