Great Exuma Bonefishing

OK folks, I’m off to Great Exuma for a week in the middle of May. I would like to hear your opinion on your top 3-5 bonefish flies (color and sizes) for me to bring along with me. Six months gives me plenty of time to start tying and filling my box. Will be bringing 2-8wt and 1-10 wt. with me.

Also appreciate any guide recommendations and any thoughts on other species to target at that time (and fly recommendation)

quote:
Originally posted by Tico Tiger

OK folks, I’m off to Great Exuma for a week in the middle of May. I would like to hear your opinion on your top 3-5 bonefish flies (color and sizes) for me to bring along with me. Six months gives me plenty of time to start tying and filling my box. Will be bringing 2-8wt and 1-10 wt. with me.

Also appreciate any guide recommendations and any thoughts on other species to target at that time (and fly recommendation)

“Ships and Sailors Rot in Port”- Admiral Nelson

Man, that's sounds like a great trip. I've chased bones all over the Bahamas but haven't fished the Exumas yet. For your leader, I'd go 9-10ft and with a about 2-3 ft of 10lb flouro tippet. As for flies, I have 2 favorites that I've used everywhere that I've fished for bones and they always work. I also like big flies (big baits catch big fish). If you make a good cast and don't spook em, they'll do a headstand trying to eat those things.

2014 Key West 203DFS

Thanks for the input!!! I always appreciate experience. What are those patterns called? Do you tie them yourself? Looks like if I can tie a Clouser, I could tie both of those. Been using Clousers in the salt for many years.

quote:
Originally posted by Tico Tiger

Thanks for the input!!! I always appreciate experience. What are those patterns called? Do you tie them yourself? Looks like if I can tie a Clouser, I could tie both of those. Been using Clousers in the salt for many years.

Don't recall the names. I think one of them is a mantis shrimp and I call the other a spider shrimp although that's probably just my made up name for it. I used to tie my own but life got in the way of my fly tying time. I would just go to Low Country Fly Shop or CHS Angler and see if they have them there, they probably do. You don't need to have 200 different bonefish patterns in your box. If they see it and think it's something they can eat, they'll usually eat it regardless.

2014 Key West 203DFS

Top one is a Borski Shrimp. Second one is indeed a mantis shrimp pattern.

All you need for the bahamas is a hand full of #4 Gotchas in tan, a few white crazy charlies… and maybe that mantis pattern if you wanna mix it up.

Light bottom light colored flies… dark bottom, dark flies…

have fun…

Mad Mike

Just because you don’t like what I tell you, don’t mean it aint true…

Thanks Mike! I’ll probably stop by your shop and load up before I go

Thanks to all. Any other input would be appreciated

Caught my first 3 bonefish ever on Great Exuma earlier this year – all were on a mantis shrimp pattern with bead chain eyes, similar to what was posted above. You may want a fly with dumbbell eyes depending on the depth you are fishing, though.

Link to a fly similar to what I was throwing: https://www.deneki.com/2010/03/veverkas-mantis-shrimp-from-its-creator/

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak