Great People on CF

A couple of months ago I posted a question asking if anyone knew where some some oyster beds were that were close enough to kayak to. Several folks responded and one person even invited me to his home to harvest from the creek behind his house. The day after New Years day, my oldest son and I ventured down to Charleston to the beautiful home of Misslily. What a wonderful gentleman. He put his little skiff in the water and let my son and I use it to hit some of the oyster beds in the creek behind his house. We gathered about a bushel of some beautiful oysters and then had the pleasure of enjoying some great conversation and a couple of cold beers (me, not my son) with George. We heard some great stories and learned some things about the Charleston area we did not know.

I have always been struck as to how giving many of the folks here on CF can be. What kind of person invites a stranger to their home and allows them to use their boat to gather oysters? I’d say a really nice person, and George is just another example of the kind of people you meet here. I am not sure I conveyed my full appreciation for such a generous act and wanted to thank him here.

George did kind of make fun of us for taking so long to gather, stating that he could gather 4 bushels in an hour. I told him that we get so little time on the water that we are never in a hurry. Plus, we stayed pretty clean all things considered.

My wife loves oysters and was thrilled to see what we brought home. She ate so much she almost made herself sick. We shared with some friends and neighbors so George’s generosity was spread over Columbia. They were absolutely delicious!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

George’s generosity cannot be overestimated. He expends much energy, time, $$ to help others enjoy this wonderful area.

Awesome

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

quote:
Originally posted by stickman

George’s generosity cannot be overestimated. He expends much energy, time, $$ to help others enjoy this wonderful area.

agreed, George is about as good as they come…

DFreedom, he mentioned you were coming down…glad y’all got out and got some good, local oysters…sorry you didn’t stop by my house on the way out of the neighborhood to pick up your case of Bonzo Juice…:wink:

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

He showed me where your Dad lives. Said you were “nearby” but no address. Oh well, maybe another time.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

George and Cherie are wonderful folks and we are blessed to call them friends. They definately are excellent examples of southern goodness and hospitality.

:slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Sounds like I need a divorce and adoption attorney…

I don’t have the pleasure of knowing George, but I’ve met some great people here too :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I remember George and Cherie from back in the day when I ran the fish aquarium store in West Ashley. They were customers that I enjoyed speaking with. Great people for sure!

Scott Fulton
AgentOwned Realty
Scott.Fulton@AgentOwnedRealty.com