Greens

Got to my turnip patch before the deer! Wife and I picked 2 bushels, cooked them down and put up 12 quarts in the freezer! Loved them cooked with real fat back and corn bread! how do yall eat them? I think this year weel get a good crop of blue tops.

My turnips ain’t quite ready yet but the collards are and they got a frost on them the other night. I like to put a smoked turkey wing in with them but it’s hard to beat ■■■■■■■.Had some tonight with fried deer heart.

Love greens. Turnip, mustard, creasy.

Mmmm, greens. Collards first, then turnips, then mustard. All with a heavy dose of pepper vinegar and a couple of slices of ■■■■■■■.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

How about with smoked sausage and homemade cornmeal dumplings. I had a friend ask me years ago to make this for her Dad, " he was a great Trout fisherman". She said his Grandmothet would make him this. I researched several old cookbooks and winged it. Took him apotful, she said he had tears in his eyes eating them and thinking of his grandmother. That’s the good stuff.

I had some leftover smoked ribs once that had probably been in the fridge 10 days. I wasn’t willing to risk heating them up and eating them, but I threw them in a pot of turnip greens and cooked for a couple hours. That was probably the best batch of turnip greens I’ve ever eaten.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Don’t let any thing go to waste! My mom grew up during the depresion and didn’t let me forget how hard it was to make it!

I’ve found that Kale is now my favorite green. While I grew up with the variety of different fatty meats added to green, i prefer them as they are.

Plain old greens with a little salt, pepper and some garlic when boiled.

I do like them sauteed with some olive oil or bacon grease and lightly salted as opposed to boiling them.

as for recipes with Turnips. I kind of like them boiled plain and mushed with a little butter, salt, and pepper. If good and tender I don’t peel them. If getting older and big I will skin and I’ll cut in half to make sure no pith in the center.

Hot pepper vinegar is a necessity when eating greens,that’s for sure DF. I’m going to try and make some cornmeal dumplings sophish,sounds delicious.