grilling whole redfish?

Anyone every grill a whole redfish? I got a 19 incher today, gutted, scaled and cut its head off. Was thinking of grilling it whole. I did this a while back and it turned out ok, but I would love any recipes y’all have for this method.

Also got a 16 inch speck that I was thinking about doing the same thing. Possible stuffing with crab. wonder if I should bake that one?

The biggie with grilling is (a) will it break up when flipping it and (b) will it dry out. If you cook in a foil pack with some butter, a little white wine and salt/pepper (etc), 400 degrees for about 20-25 mins, it’s be great!

Next time gut and cut out the gills and eyes leave whole. Take a box Kosher salt and pour in large bowl squeeze 2 lemons in and stir to moisten salt set fish upright and pack in salt cake the salt all around it and rap in foil. The skin will keep the salt out cook 350 for an hour sealed in the foil. The salt will form a rock hard cake and you can brake it off and peel the skin off forking off the meat in hunks looks pretty served whole tastes great no salty flavor

Baked Redfish…Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

quote:
Originally posted by touchdown

Next time gut and cut out the gills and eyes leave whole. Take a box Kosher salt and pour in large bowl squeeze 2 lemons in and stir to moisten salt set fish upright and pack in salt cake the salt all around it and rap in foil. The skin will keep the salt out cook 350 for an hour sealed in the foil. The salt will form a rock hard cake and you can brake it off and peel the skin off forking off the meat in hunks looks pretty served whole tastes great no salty flavor

This is one of my favorite ways to cook snapper. There really isn’t a need for the foil as the salt serves the same purpose. We usually use a couple of boxes of salt and put a thick layer covering the entire fish on a baking sheet/pan. You will need to break away the salt when its done, but it is fantastic and not salty at all… surprisingly. We usually stuff the cavity of the fish with some lemon, capers, butter and garlic

Also can try ‘On-tha-halfshell’

Super easy, just filet off both sides, season the ‘meat’ side and place skin/scale side on grille. Cook till almost done, flip just to add grille marks to the ‘meat’ side (If you wish) then serve. Meat comes off skin very easily while eating, then toss the skin.

Can’t believe I am telling everyone this trick. Lol. But if you filet the red as normal and leave the scales on, rinse the filet pretty good and pat semi-dry with a paper towel, then rub about a spoonful of mayo and mustard on the meat side then sprinkle a little seasoned salt and lemon pepper on it and throw it on the grill scales down. takes about 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat then eat. you will be able to pluck the meat from the skin and scales with a fork. you can also try this for dolphin, grouper, trout, flounder, shark and whatever else you want. just curious, but has anyone else ever heard of this? Happy Grillin!

Rippin Lips and Jerking Jaws!
18’ Alumacraft Tunnel w/60 Merc
16’ Camo Tracker w/25 Merc

grilled whole after scaling and gutting. Slitted the sides, stuffed with lemon slices, then salted. Was easy to turn when halfway cooked- yes you have to be careful, but it didn’t break apart… turned out awesome. But, I look forward to trying some of yall’s tricks!

ps-- yes, I used to use mayo on the meat side on sheepies. Then coat with a dusting of saltines and salt and pepper. Bake 350 for about 10 min and then lemon juice. awesome