Grouper Location

Just wondering where do I need to look to find grouper, I’ve been to some maps unique spots in the blackfish banks out in 70-100 feet but haven’t had any luck so far. Do I need to go farther? Or are they in that area during certain times of the year?

As the water warms and bait moves around they will move from the ledge to nearshore hard bottoms and structure.

If it were me Id be looking in 90-125 feet this time of year.

Grouper like the twilight bite in my experience.

Those map uniques are worn out overfished patches and designed to catch fishermen.

Keep an eye on your sounder and dont be afraid to fish the small marks, when drifting or looking around always make a waypoint on anything you see, usually there are more in that area if you slow down and look.

The grouper seems to elude me as well. The fishermen I hear being successful with the grouper are almost always using live bait.

1 Like

Thanks. Any tips on the correct sonar settings for locating good bottom?

If you are new to sonar leave it on auto at first, play with the gain and when you see something interesting turn it up until your scope gets fuzzy then back off and observe the difference

Thats a good start, then use the search function here and look up Sonar Settings. There will be lots of good info there.

If you still have questions we can revisit and go over the particulars

Best of Luckk

I use the sonar settings that looks at the area from the bottom to 15’ above. Adjust the gain until your pretty sure that the screen is showing only bait and fish. Don’t know why but natural live bottom is much better that artificial reefs. For some reason grouper do not like weights I use ridiculously long leaders Like 15 to 20 ‘ long. Use cigar minnows unless you can get live menhaden. with the cigar minnows cut thr tail off and hook them about an inch and a half forward of where the tail was , push the hook around the backbone with a big grouper you won’t feel a usual tap tap bite. Just a steady increasing pull.

Go get em’

2 Likes

Thanks, Nature.

FINALLY, someone is willing to give up secrets on Grouper fishing.

Successful fishing does mean less resources, but people are here to help other people, as well as serving God.

Sharing the resources God gave us is only human.

Thanks for the information. When you find your spots do you just drive out there in 90-120 feet and start looking on your sonar? Or is there a specific general area that will have these livebottom/ledges. I’m new to this so i appreciate the tips

There are plenty of gag grouper in 70 ‘.

The smallest of a ledge will hold fish.

As EF mentioned, use the search function. Many good threads on grouper fishing over the years. Pin fish for bait. May be able to find “sellsFish” videos on YouTube. He was probably the best and most vocal Grouper fisherman on CFC. Most won’t tell you a lot other than the obvious stuff.

Anyone? Did DNR ever publicly reveal the exact location of area 51 and 53? I knew a couple of people that actually paid for those numbers a bit ago.

I’ve caught a few near the spires coming back from the Deli, make sure you have stout fishing gear, a strong back, and horse them up as quick as possible before they “hole” up. Wish I knew more to say.

The Charts I have, have Area 51, and 53 marked.

Both are SMZ’s, as I recall?

Been a bit Mixed, but they were not marked as SMZ’s and highly secret. Guess it’s no reason to keep them secret now that we can’t fish them.

DNR put an extensive oasis over a flat barren area and brought in fish and made a paradise for them. Now we can’t even fish that area.

2 Likes

Nice, probably the first time your bride saw a broom in your hand, lol.

Looks like a deck full.

Well done!!!

NN

Would I be guessing right if I said next time we see that fish it’ll be on a plate?