Grouper on the menu

I don’t follow the offshore discussion much, just enough to know there have been a lot of closures and restrictions on fishing. Was at a restaurant last night that had fresh grouper out of Georgetown on the menu. I thought there were still restrictions on grouper, but don’t follow it very closeley.

Can someone shed some light? I think we could use a place on cf.com that keeps up to date “what’s fresh on the menu now”, so you before you go to dinner, you can see what local fish may be available and know if they are offering out of season stuff, it must be frozen, farmed or not right.

sealevelPete
Deut. 23:12-13

Grouper-OPEN

probably amberjack.

Mexico, The Bahamas, Belize, All of South America are still open.

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

Mexico, The Bahamas, Belize, All of South America are still open.

"fresh grouper out of Georgetown" was how it was described.

sealevelPete

i saw fresh sc black sea bass on a sign in the upstate?

why is it hard to believe that grouper from Georgetown would be served? Do you all think that they are extinct?

Yeah being the 25th of May I’m sure it is. It’s been open for almost a month now. Everytime I have been out, I have seen a bunch of commercial guys.

quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

why is it hard to believe that grouper from Georgetown would be served? Do you all think that they are extinct?

No, as I said in the opening statement, I thought there were a number of closures and did not know the current status of the grouper season. It sounds like it is open.

Thanks for all the replies. I still think it would be cool if there was a spot on this site that would keep up-to-date what local seafood you might see at the local restaurants and fishmongers. I don’t know anything about the regulation and seasons of commercial fishers.

sealevelPete

All federal regulations for both rec and commercial are up on SAFMC.NET.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

All federal regulations for both rec and commercial are up on SAFMC.NET.

uh, skinnee, you are kind of missing the point of someone else doing all the work FOR me! :wink:

sealevelPete

Abundant Seafood on Shem Creek is one of a few CSF (community supported fisheries) in the United States, and they are one of a FEW boats ported out of Charleston that Snapper-Grouper fish commerically.

The best suggestion I can offer is to develop a relationship with them, and ask them who they are selling their seafood too. This way you know from catch to consumption where the fish come from.

My 2 cents…hope it helps

quote:
probably amberjack
Do you think it is possible to mistake AJ for Grouper? I believe I can tell the diffrence blindfolded.

Grouper has been on the menu 3 times already in may at my house

fresh grouper can be on the menu all year long, for a price. Grouper are from all over - from NC to Argentina. BTW - Abundant is not the only purveyor of IMPORTED fresh grouper in this market.

I am not sure of various requirements on residency. Perhaps a grouper fillet needs only an overnight in Georgetown to become a resident. Any company or restaurant that sells AJ as grouper will not be around long - especially in this tough market.

Every restriction the SAFMC puts on fish pushes the market price ever higher.