Gun Safe

Try a Rhino. Great fire rating, weight about 700 pounds (for the 75 min fire rated one), Ordered one from Costco a couple years back. Replaced a Liberty. Not sure if they still sell them.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

Griffin Also does refurbished safes if you are building in and looks aren’t a concern. I ended up getting a 50 gun liberty or Lincoln for like $800 delivered. Its primer gray on outside but inside is like a brand new $3,000 safe.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

Not local, but we installed a safe in a custom house from Liberty safe. Really, really nice safe.
http://www.libertysafe.com/

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, those liberty safes look pretty sharp, but as someone else mentioned, they are pricey... I need to hit up a couple places tonight to get a look at a few.

You can listen to Dana Loesch, Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck and get your special promotion code.:smiley:

http://www.libertysafe.com/special-offers.php

Chesterfield is so far away. Did you pick it up or did they deliver?

quote:

I went up there and the owner (mike griffin) took to me his warehouse and I picked out a refurbished safe (inside like new - outside primer gray) I think I paid an xtra $80 and they delivered it (when it was convenient for me) to my house and put it in place and bolted it to floor.

If you decide to go up there I would just call ahead and maybe make an appointment to see Mike. They have a downtown storefront location that doesn’t showcase much and is largely unimpressive but when you get to the warehouse, its crazy what all that guy has.

And if you ride with Mike, the trip to the warehouse might seem a little like deliverance but he is good people.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro
quote:

I went up there and the owner (mike griffin) took to me his warehouse and I picked out a refurbished safe (inside like new - outside primer gray) I think I paid an xtra $80 and they delivered it (when it was convenient for me) to my house and put it in place and bolted it to floor.

If you decide to go up there I would just call ahead and maybe make an appointment to see Mike. They have a downtown storefront location that doesn’t showcase much and is largely unimpressive but when you get to the warehouse, its crazy what all that guy has.

And if you ride with Mike, the trip to the warehouse might seem a little like deliverance but he is good people.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Spoke to him on the phone. Guy was intense for sure!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro
quote:

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Spoke to him on the phone. Guy was intense for sure!

Passionate…to say the least. He’ll shoot you straight at least, that’s worth a good bit in my opinion if it’s in the budget.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Passionate…to say the least. He’ll shoot you straight at least, that’s worth a good bit in my opinion if it’s in the budget.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Yep. His sheetrock lined safe is what I am leaning on right now. Size is right, and price isn't too bad. I can't do the concrete safe because of the weight. I need to keep it under 1000 lbs since the new house doesn't have a "ground floor".

I’ve been shopping for these recently too. I’ve discovered that, to me, the most important thing is fire protection. I always thought security was the number one thing, but its just not. I agree with the guys here in that you should get one size up from whatever size that you “need.” But the odds of a burglar actually breaking into the house and then breaking into the safe are slim in my opinion. All safes are easily enough able to be broken into with basic tools if a bad guy has enough time (like you’re out of town). Most safes are difficult to break into from the front door usually, however, on the economy models like we are looking at, its fairly easy to just take a grinder to the side and cut into the sheetmetal that way. The back and sides are typically not very thick metal. If I were you, I’d seriously be looking at fire protection first. That’s the most likely scenario for damage to whatever you choose to store inside whether its guns or ammo or paper documents.

If you are looking for large and cheap, Tractor Supply has one that is a 80 gun safe with a 75 minute rating at 1200 degrees for $1100 on sale right now. But that thing is wide. After April 1st it’ll be $1200. Keep in mind that if the safe happens to be in a hotspot in the house during a fire, the temperatures can exceed the ratings of most of the safes out there on the market and severely damage the contents. A way to protect your safe contents further is to have as much fire protection as possible. Since you are still in the building process, you might want to discuss with your contractor adding sheetrock around the safe in a manner that can act as a fire wall. It’s cheap insurance and probably something easy to do at this stage. If you really want to go the extra mile, there’s a sheetrock called Type X drywall (google it) that is reinforced with fiberglass and is supposed to be better fire retardant material. I’ve never used it; I’ve only read online about it.

I personally don’t think you need a vault or a $5,000+ safe. B

I bought mine at Tractor Supply strictly for fire protection. Got an alarm on the house, and I don’t think I even bothered to bolt it to the floor. Just wanted something to keep the kids off the guns, and keep documents safe from fire. Not burglary. My next house will have a small room with 2 hour firewalls, and a fire door with a couple of locks.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

One thing to consider…

I ended up going with the digital punch pad for entry but I am really kind of torn on whether I shouldn’t have just stayed with the old school manual dial. in the event of a fire, obviously the key pad would be gone and you would have to have safe cracker get you back in it but I guess insurance would cover that…

Mine is in my shop and I am sort of paranoid that something could happen to the digital keypad that would cause you not to get back in. Maybe water damage or even bumping into it with something and breaking it.

My thinking is that an old school dial is sort of fool proof and indestructible…

Just food for thought…

If you end up going with Griffin, they can set u up either way.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I’ve been shopping for these recently too. I’ve discovered that, to me, the most important thing is fire protection. I always thought security was the number one thing, but its just not. I agree with the guys here in that you should get one size up from whatever size that you “need.” But the odds of a burglar actually breaking into the house and then breaking into the safe are slim in my opinion. All safes are easily enough able to be broken into with basic tools if a bad guy has enough time (like you’re out of town). Most safes are difficult to break into from the front door usually, however, on the economy models like we are looking at, its fairly easy to just take a grinder to the side and cut into the sheetmetal that way. The back and sides are typically not very thick metal. If I were you, I’d seriously be looking at fire protection first. That’s the most likely scenario for damage to whatever you choose to store inside whether its guns or ammo or paper documents.

If you are looking for large and cheap, Tractor Supply has one that is a 80 gun safe with a 75 minute rating at 1200 degrees for $1100 on sale right now. But that thing is wide. After April 1st it’ll be $1200. Keep in mind that if the safe happens to be in a hotspot in the house during a fire, the temperatures can exceed the ratings of most of the safes out there on the market and severely damage the contents. A way to protect your safe contents further is to have as much fire protection as possible. Since you are still in the building process, you might want to discuss with your contractor adding sheetrock around the safe in a manner that can act as a fire wall. It’s cheap insurance and probably something easy to do at this stage. If you really want to go the extra mile, there’s a sheetrock called Type X drywall (google it) that is reinforced with fiberglass and is

I can see wanting protection from a total loss house fire, but that would be out in a rural area I would guess. I have a smoke alarm connected to my system that calls them immediately when it detects smoke. And they are only 1 mile from my house. I am counting on the house getting put out before it gets to a total loss. Besides, a fire like the one in that pic would probably take out my whole cul-de-sac, so I imagine they would want to get it under control quickly.

We tested the system by mistake. FD showed up 8 minutes after the alarm went off one night.

And the cops showed up very secretively and prepared to attack when my toddler accidentally pressed the panic alarm on the remote in about 5 minutes also.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

I can see wanting protection from a total loss house fire, but that would be out in a rural area I would guess. I have a smoke alarm connected to my system that calls them immediately when it detects smoke. And they are only 1 mile from my house. I am counting on the house getting put out before it gets to a total loss. Besides, a fire like the one in that pic would probably take out my whole cul-de-sac, so I imagine they would want to get it under control quickly.

We tested the system by mistake. FD showed up 8 minutes after the alarm went off one night.

And the cops showed up very secretively and prepared to attack when my toddler accidentally pressed the panic alarm on the remote in about 5 minutes also.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yeah. I brought up this point in my conversation with him on the phone and he was basically had me convinced that the fire department would never get there in time... But yeah, hopefully there would not be a "total fire loss"...

Then, after that I came up with a plan to fill the safe up with water, and hide inside until the fire burned out…

I’ve watched 3-4 house fires in my area in the last year, and none of them yet were left to rubble like that video showed. Roofs burnt out, but walls and foundations still standing.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Cant beat living close to town for fire protection, but can you open the front door and shoot a buck while drinking your morning coffie!

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

I’ve watched 3-4 house fires in my area in the last year, and none of them yet were left to rubble like that video showed. Roofs burnt out, but walls and foundations still standing.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Wow. That's a lot. Are they starting to suspect you? "Hey, who's that guy who is always standing around watching?"

:smiley:

Funny guy. This is while driving by or seeing the carcass the next day driving by.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
quote:

If you are looking for large and cheap, Tractor Supply has one that is a 80 gun safe with a 75 minute rating at 1200 degrees for $1100 on sale right now. But that thing is wide. After April 1st it’ll be $1200. Keep in mind that if the safe happens to be in a hotspot in the house during a fire, the temperatures can exceed the ratings of most of the safes out there on the market and severely damage the contents. A way to protect your safe contents further is to have as much fire protection as possible. Since you are still in the building process, you might want to discuss with your contractor adding sheetrock around the safe in a manner that can act as a fire wall. It’s cheap insurance and probably someth

quote:

Great, just got the text with the combo information. Thanks buddy!!

O U 8 1 2