Gunsafe vs. Safety Deposit Box

Why pay someone to store what you can store yourself?

I have some guns I want to protect from theft/fire. They are currently safe from theft, but not fire.

So what about protecting the guns as well as important documents? Doing away with the annual fee for a safety deposit box would pay for the safe, in time.

Would make it a lot easier to update documents as well.

Thanks for any info.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

I would be nervous about taking a gun into a bank to put in a safety deposit box!!!

I use a gun safe to store everything. It’s pretty dang solid and bolted to the floor joists and wall studs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
I would be nervous about taking a gun into a bank to put in a safety deposit box!!!

Not to mention it would require a very LARGE box:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

They know me and feel safer when I am there:smiley:.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Storing your will in your home isnt a good idea. I know you said documents, just adding info in case.

I’m considering getting a gun safe when the new house is done. Some of these monsters weigh like 1000 lbs. How in the heck do you get it up the steps? When people move to a new home, do you take it with you? What are the logistics???

skinneej, tell the contractor what you have and want! Let him figure it out! If you put a 1,000 pound safe in a raised house it will need some extra support down below! Something like that you have to build around! Pick it up and place, with a high lift fork lift or whatever they are using to put the other building materials up there with.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

skinneej, tell the contractor what you have and want! Let him figure it out! If you put a 1,000 pound safe in a raised house it will need some extra support down below! Something like that you have to build around! Pick it up and place, with a high lift fork lift or whatever they are using to put the other building materials up there with.

I guess that implies that it becomes an "appliance" in the house that never get's moved?

Not unless you put down some sort of flooring to move it around on. If
you have hardwood your going to mark it up with dolly wheel marks. Also you would have to make sure that under floor area was supported. Put it in a room corner and build a wall with a door around it like a closet! Or, put it in your Man Cave!

quote:

Not unless you put down some sort of flooring to move it around on. If
you have hardwood your going to mark it up with dolly wheel marks. Also you would have to make sure that under floor area was supported. Put it in a room corner and build a wall with a door around it like a closet! Or, put it in your Man Cave!

Dang. So like the ones that are for sale in places like Gander Mountain for instance are picked up by a builder and installed in the house? I remember that Atlantic Game and Tackle used to sell them if I recall. I thought the delivered them.

Going to require some thought. Basically I would likely put it in my office, but if I decided to re-purpose the room, I am stuck with a safe!

My sister’s BF bought a Liberty safe a few months ago. Whoever he bought it from delivered and set it up. It was not upstairs however. You can find someone to move just about anything.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

We have to move an 850lb safe into a finished bedroom over antique heart pine flooring. Owner decided to move the safe from a slab into a bedroom. There is no way I will be able to get it into place without some mishaps. Owner agreed to pay for any damages which I am almost sure will be replacing that soft pine flooring.
If you plan on a safe that is 1000lbs, get it built in and leave it with the house, it will be an assessed as an upgrade. It really needs to be installed before any finishes are installed. We usually install them right after drywall and tape them up until we are finished. All kinds of fun stuff you can do but most people have them built into their closet cabinetry.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

agreed to all of the above about planning ahead for the gun safe - but I would store the documents off-site. I would also make digital + physical copies if they are vitally important.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

I’m considering getting a gun safe when the new house is done. Some of these monsters weigh like 1000 lbs. How in the heck do you get it up the steps? When people move to a new home, do you take it with you? What are the logistics???

Build in a vault as a part of the house. You can buy security doors with throw bolts like in a safe but look like a residential interior door with a 2hr rating. Remote locking and keypad can be located in a hidden spot. Not a whole lot of difference in price between a decent sized vault and a good fire rated safe large enough to hold a decent collection of valuables.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

We have to move an 850lb safe into a finished bedroom over antique heart pine flooring. Owner decided to move the safe from a slab into a bedroom. There is no way I will be able to get it into place without some mishaps. Owner agreed to pay for any damages which I am almost sure will be replacing that soft pine flooring.
If you plan on a safe that is 1000lbs, get it built in and leave it with the house, it will be an assessed as an upgrade. It really needs to be installed before any finishes are installed. We usually install them right after drywall and tape them up until we are finished. All kinds of fun stuff you can do but most people have them built into their closet cabinetry.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

The best way to move a safe (any size and damage free) is to rock it back and place it on 24" schedule 40 PVC(2" diameter), pivot it onto that piece and slide another under the back. As you slowly roll the safe take the pipe out of the back and place it in front repetitively, kind of like they say stone hinge was built or the Egyptians moved their blocks. Its good to have several hands and extra pipes to help steer and guide it but this method makes it pretty much effortless and you can put it anywhere. Also good to have several sections of pipe Obviously you still need a forklift to get it to a second level.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Heck, skinneej don’t need no fork lift! He’s 6’9" and weighs in @ 290. If the ladder will hold, he can put it over his shoulder in a Fireman’s Carry and tote it up there! :wink: Course, he may want to take all the guns and ammo out first!

One thing you have to look at is the safe fire rated and if so for how long? Is it tool resistive and what is the rating? Many of the gun boxes are a large metal clad box that is filled with cement and are not UL and/or FM rated.

quote:

Heck, skinneej don’t need no fork lift! He’s 6’9" and weighs in @ 290. If the ladder will hold, he can put it over his shoulder in a Fireman’s Carry and tote it up there! :wink: Course, he may want to take all the guns and ammo out first!

…And the legend of the Skinnie one lives on…

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Truth be told, I am going to get back down to 250 at some point! Unfortunately, the skinny one loves the Oreos…