Gut Wrench 10-4-08 120ft(Nice ARS)

Great day on the water.The grouper bite had slowed,our diver said they are there,lots of donkeys.

ended the day with 4 red snapper.(something we have just not targeted and caught many of before)
1 scamp
lots of triggers.

got bouy scouted by a contender.

the daymaker/mystery fish hit the daiwa elctric reel,peeled off a total of 200 yds at full drag like it was nothing(i was watching the numbers spin faster than than the dollars on a gas pump),drag was actually smoking and peeling so fast it broke the level wind feature,now remember this reel is set up for swordfishing.I let him run as the crew gets the anchor up(great job on that by the way) and we begin the chase,we’re thinking monster shark,i gain back the line all the way to 67 meters(weare only in 35meters when all this happend?andwe’re still are only in 35 meters so were is all my extra line going?)line is straight down,he runs again peeling line(this reel has some heavy drag) at will,we chase,we`take,he takes, all this goes on for for 30 mins or so still the best i can get back is to the 44 meter point,anytime i put pressure back on him he would wait and then pull somemore line,he is on the bottom and not coming up at all,so we wait and wait.letting the pressure off the line hopeing to trick him,it finally happens,the line goes under the boat and hits either a trim tab or skeg?its over line broke…

so if someone catches a monster with 100 meters of yellow 100 lb power pro and 130lbs floro leader with a 12 circle hook in his mouth can i have my hook back?

we will always wonder what it was,thinking shark because of the fast long 150 yard run,Big Big Big grouper because it obviously was in the bottom(its like he wanted to get to a certain spot and once he did he wasn’t coming out for us) or maybe a sea turtle…whatever it was it was impressive i have caught some nice fish on that reel and he made it look like a barbie setup…

Bob,

You can always count on your posts being entertaining!. Sounds like you guys did well.

We hit the Garden area and cought some BSB. With as flat as it was we headed out to the ledge and fought many a battle with some nice AJs. Picked up a nice Scamp, Triger and some vermillion.

That is probably my last day to fish until May, so it was fun day to end my season on.

Parrish
http://www.teamsouthbound.com/pictureprocessor/galleries/usergallery.asp?gallery=419

Nice Post!!

Bob, what were you using for bait?? Maybe a Goliath?? was it a fast run or slow?

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Great post!!! That must of been some exciting crap with that mystery fish.

The fall is like a sore peter!! Tough to beat!!

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Bob, what were you using for bait?? Maybe a Goliath?? was it a fast run or slow?

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

a big porgie,it was a fast/strong pull no slowing or stopping till he wanted too,then all the other pulls would be short but strong,i was helpless to stop him…i thought maybe Goliath too,man i just wish i could have seen him…

I had a Goliath eat a cicle hooked 15 lb Red Snapper (I was reeling it in) on a bandit rig…after a 20 minute stalemate he spit out my fish and I got a scaled snapper back. That is what I love about bottom fishing big baits! You never know what is going to eat them. Big sharks, Grandaddy Grouper, Giant Cubera, stingrays as big as a car hood, 12’ Sawfish, Goliaths, and the list goes on.

sounds like another good time bob. sad that i missed it.

http://www.pioneerownersclub.com