Hammerhead in the harbor

Went out on the wando for on 5/28 and couldn’t find any menhaden so we went and met a bunch of horse mullet for cut bait. After fishing for several hours with absolutely no luck we decided to head out to the harbor and fish for some sharks: we caught several little sharks on chunks of cut mullet then we had a whole live 8-10" mullet swimming out the back on a tld15 and a stand up rod and it doubled over. I thought we had a good size sandbar then this guy came up. It definitely made the day watching my buddy catch this!

Keith McPherson

Nice. I had a buddy of mine catch one surf fishing last year. Very cool.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

Can’t see the photos!

Try to reload the page. They are big photos.

Keith McPherson

Nope! Little boxes with X’s in them!

Got them now!:smiley:

Hmmm that’s odd. Can any of you other guys see the pics?

Keith McPherson

I had to reload Windows Explorer, but have the photos now!

I see the photos…awesome! I’d love to catch one. Such a beautiful and interesting creature. Thanks for sharing!

We caught a hammer that size today too, out by the jetties. Be awesome if we have a bunch this year

It would be great to see hammerheads start to make a comeback for sure! They seem to be somewhat elusive!

Keith McPherson

Nice catch!

First, Most, Biggest

They are some really weird looking fish! And the do get big! We thought we had a swordfish and 45 min later we were wrong.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

They are some really weird looking fish! And the do get big! We thought we had a swordfish and 45 min later we were wrong.

“Why Bruce?”

We used to fish a gill net when I was a kid in the N. Edisto between Deveaux bank and Botany Island…in a 14’ jon boat.

My Dad and I went to pull net one day and it was all tangled up…inside was a 12’ Hammerhead - dead thankfully. That thing was a MONSTER!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

[quote]Originally posted by Fred67

We used to fish a gill net when I was a kid in the N. Edisto between Deveaux bank and Botany Island…in a 14’ jon boat.

My Dad and I went to pull net one day and it was all tangled up…inside was a 12’ Hammerhead - dead thankfully. That thing was a MONSTER!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

14’ boat and a 12’ shark! yikes! Some big sharks in a variety of species in that area.

I remember a lot of gill nets off Edisto beach many years ago.

“Why Bruce?”

There you go!

Nice one! I am one of the few who like shark fishing. I have caught a couple in the harbor over the years. They are there!

Guns kill people just like spoons made Rosie O’donell fat.

We caught one Saturday about that size, in the 90’ hole near dewees. Was a first for me.

Nice, I’m not a huge fan of shark fishing but I do enjoy chasing the shrimp boats in the morning and sight casting to those big black tips. Catch of a few of those in the morning and you are worn out.

02’ Seapro 17’CC w/ 90 yamaha 2stroke

quote:
Originally posted by Clem1984

Nice, I’m not a huge fan of shark fishing but I do enjoy chasing the shrimp boats in the morning and sight casting to those big black tips. Catch of a few of those in the morning and you are worn out.

I’ve seen videos of this, but have not done it myself. Seems a fun/ cheap thrill for some spinners or blacktips. You follow them outside of the jetties I guess? How far back is a reasonable distance? Last thing I’d want to do is infringe on their space.

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Kiosk
quote:
Originally posted by Clem1984

I’ve seen videos of this, but have not done it myself. Seems a fun/ cheap thrill for some spinners or blacktips. You follow them outside of the jetties I guess? How far back is a reasonable distance? Last thing I’d want to do is infringe on their space.

Yeah, do it outside of the Jetties. Just run up behind the shrimp boats and stay about 20yds behind them and stay center of the nets. Then throw your bait behind the nets, you will catch a shark or you will see them on the surface. If you see them on the surface, just reel in real fast and cast your bait right at them. You will not be the only person fishing like this either. I don’t do it all the time, but it’s fun to do something different.