Happy birthday Bill McCurry

I will always remember my grandfather just like this. He taught me to fish. This picture of him and my little sister was taken in the early 80’s on the old pier in the Wilmington River off Skidaway Island. Somebody burned a hole in the end of the pier and they tore it down shortly afterward. You can see the hole in the picture. Pretty sure that’s why my sister has on those floaters.
Born in Shelby NC he went on to serve with Patton across Africa and Europe before raising my Mom and her two sisters. He lives in Birmingham AL now. Today he is 93 years old. Happy birthday Papaw!

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

Some of my fondest childhood memories are the summers I spent with my grandparents. My Granddad had us on the water every weekend if the weather permitted. Great photo!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

My Mom told me years ago, before she passed away, that the reason I like fishing so much is because she fell out of the boat while fishing with my grandmother (Mom was expecting with me at the time). I never saw my granddad show any interest in fishing, but apparently grandma really enjoyed it and caught a lot of fish. I was the only grandchild allowed to fish with grandma’s fishing rods. I still have one of grandma’s old baitcasting reels. I think it’s a J.C. Higgins that used to be sold by Sears Roebuck and Co. It has a clicker, but no drag. Think I’m going to respool it and take it fishing one day, just for old time’s sake.

Great picture!. Love those pink pants too:smiley: I know that dock, I grew up on the Wilmington River fishing with my Dad. He would be 94 if he was still here. Sure do miss fishing with him. Take your Pa Pa fishing while you can.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Cracker in my teens I fished the Wilmington River in a 10 foot jon boat with a 3.9 Mercury motor. Me and a buddy would maneuver up under Allees Wharf and the shrimp docks in Thunderbolt to catch sheeps around the pilings. Good times! Before the boat, we would ride our bikes from Avondale down Victory Drive to Thunderbolt with rods, tackle, and small coolers tied to the baskets. Always came home with fish.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250