Harvesting Oysters to Make Extra Money

I stay pretty busy mowing yards in the warmer months but there’s not much work around in the cooler season. I recently bought my first boat, a jon boat, and was wondering how hard it would be to harvest oysters to make some extra cash this time of year. I’ve cooked and eaten oysters all my life but have never actaully picked them. From what I’ve heard, it sounds like more hard work than skill haha. So if I get all the permits and licenses (I assume I can even though I’m 17?) can I do it everynow and then and just sell what I pick to a “wholesaler” ? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

Good luck in your ventures, back in the day when I cut lawns, we convinced our customers to let us plant rye grass so we would have something to cut.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

I would imagine you’d need a license but. I’ll bet sellsfish could advise you on this matter.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I used to do the same CaptFritz did. Throw in aeration, fertilizing, pre-emergent, and overseeding, and you can create some nice packages

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

Its not as easy as getting a boat and getting bushels of oysters… You cant pick oysters for commercial sale from the public areas , and you may get shot at for gathering oysters on someone else’s lease.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/shellfish/

You would have to get a lot done to be commercial, and you could only sell to a wholesale guy who will make all the margin.

Gotta be an easier way to make a dollar.

I went down to Fort Johnson on Tuesday and got more info about oyster harvesting. I didn’t realize that all the State Grounds that can be harvested commerically are closed. They said this year has been a very bad season because of all the abnormal weather we had last year.

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

If I were you, I’d start doing some catering.Good money in it and if you were able to supply some of your own oysters then there would be more profit margin.Good luck sonny and remember it’s all about who you know and the connections you make.

Try and get some commercial accounts. Some people are ok with u coming once per month to maintain leaves, weeds, sticks, etc to keep your customers yards neat and clean through the winter. Learn how to properly prune trees and crape myrtles as well as ornamental grasses and woody ornamentals such as lantana, hydrangeas, etc. I have been in the lawn/Landscape business a long time. Be willing to do more then just cut grass. If you have a commercial mower u can get mulching blades along with a mulching kit and take care of large leaf clean ups in no time. People always want new pine straw and mulch and don’t always wait till spring to do it. There is plenty of work out there you just have to be a go getter. Commercial properties need maintenance every week year around and u are expected to do everything. Tree pruning, leaf removal weekly, ornamental pruning and occasionally mowing and edging as needed to keep the property looking sharp all the time

Dont forget parking lot pick up and blowing or vacuming! winterrising sprinkler systems. Pressure washing sidewalks. Now is the time of year a lot of contracts are being redone. Get out ther and talk to new contacts!

Middle of the season is not the time to learn how to pick oysters. Contact me in September next year and I will set you up with one of my sons if you are serious about wanting to pick oysters. The money is good if you Work hard

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Middle of the season is not the time to learn how to pick oysters. Contact me in September next year and I will set you up with one of my sons if you are serious about wanting to pick oysters. The money is good if you Work hard

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Screaming, that is one fine offer there! If you are serious, this is your chance. If I was in your shoes, I would jump on this with both feet. Sellsfish is good people.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

I wish his store was still open.Should’ve bought more seafood I guess.