Help Needed From Chevy Experts

My youngest son drives a 1999 Chevy S10. While replacing the oil cooler lines a month or so ago, we noticed that the output shaft seal (where the drive shaft goes into the transmission) is leaking. It isn’t a huge leak but, might as well fix it before it gets worse as were hoping to get a couple more years out of the truck. There is a Drive Shaft Center Support that has to be disconnected to change out the seal. I have 2 questions"

1. Since I am going to the trouble, should I also replace the drive
    shaft center support and,

2. How do you determine which is the right one. There are about 6
    listed on Rockauto’s website and some loook like it and some don’t.

Any expert advice appreciated. Not you Peapod.

That’s a mid shift bearing, just like the universal joint that connects the drive shaft to the rear end, I would replace it since you have to drop the drive shaft. As far as which one to get, call an auto parts store, get the right part number and then get it from rock auto.

Double D.

As to getting the right hanger/carrier bearing for your truck maybe price one at a CHEVY parts counter. They will use your Vin number and should get what came with truck. I’ve found their pricing fairly reasonable on several items. That bearing seldom fails unless you have a lot of vibration in the drive line from unbalanced condition or bad u-joints. If you don’t have any up and down motion in it while still attached I wouldn’t worry about it. Your drive shaft should have a slip shaft(two piece section) that will come apart and the carrier bearing is usually pressed on and will require a puller to remove.

Good Luck with it!

Law of unintended consequences bout to kick in. You’ll break 4 other things fixing that. Don’t blame peapod when you do

Thanks Pea, as always, good to know you have my back.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

do what Fred said. do NOT call a parts store like advance auto or autozone. call the dealership if you want to get the correct part number. but like fred said, if there is any play or vibration, leave it be. they rarely fail.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson