Help With My First Smoker

Picked up an electric smoker right after Christmas. Using a smoker is new to me. I’m looking for some easy “first timer” recipes. I’d really like to try making jerky if anyone has a recipe for that. Otherwise, I’m open to suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks

DF, Buy, Myron Mixon’s, book! I think it’s called Smoking, by Myron Mixon! Gives you everything you need to know!

If your a Facebook member join group called My Masterbuilt Electric Smoker great group and lots of recipes!

2006 Pro Line 17 Sport Honda 90

Baby Back or St Louis Style spare ribs on a smoker in a temp range of 225-275 for 3-4 hours usually turns out pretty well. Some people pull them at 2-3 hours and wrap in foil for an hour, it’s a personal choice type thing I believe.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

smokingmeatforums.com/

Great, thanks for the ideas. I do like the sound of those ribs

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Second on the smokingmeatforums.com Tons of amazing info to be found on there. You can always start with a butt. Its cheap, you can make or buy your own rub. Smoke at 225 until it hits 160. Wrap in foil until internal temp hits 195-203. Keep wrapped and store in cooler or place in oven around 170-190 degrees for a couple hours. Pull apart goodness.

you are in for a treat. I love my electric smoker.

PM incoming when I get another minute to type

Time and temperature! After being under the tutelage of Jon Haney for almost a year I can finally say I’ve got this stuff down. If you want to talk give me a call 843-926-5137 I’ve got the temperatures pretty much memorized for each of the different meat groups.Butts, ribs, brisket, and I can even give you some tricks on brining your chicken . Just too much to type here. I will say that it is very important to in vest in a good digital thermometer.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Paul, if you are going to be at the oyster roast I’ll pick your brain there. Again, thanks all. Looking forward to smoking stuff.

Checking out the smokingmeatforum now. Great, something else to keep me from doing my chores.

I went to a pellet smoker and love it! Sometimes I need to add a little smoke, but the amazin pellet smoker maze cures that quickly

Agree with smokingmeatforum.com. You might be able to pick up some tips from “BBQ Pit Boys” on youtube. Most of the installed thermometers aren’t accurate. I bought a Maverick ET-(something) and it is much more accurate than the one on my smoker lid. They differ by as much as 75 degrees. I have a Webber Smokey Mountain 18" and I love it. I’m thinking about getting an ATC for it.

Like SF said, the digital thermo is the only way to go! Good Luck with your cooking! Love my Green Egg tho never tried the electic! Ge you some BUTT RUB, can’t go wrong on that rub, even add some brown sugar to it.

Make your own rubs from scratch and experiment.

Check out amazingribs.com. They have easy recipes and techniques for anything from pork, brisket, turkey, chicken, sauces, marinades, rubs, and anything in between. Have somewhat followed the recipes they have with some flares of my own and they always turn out well…Definitely get a digital leave in thermometer as most of these recipes are done by meat temp. vs. cook time. I love to come up with my own stuff to try…sometimes good and sometimes bad. ha…experimenting is the best part.

“There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.”

Kellen Easterby

A rainy weekend kept me from trying mine out but keep em coming. Doing something soon.

Here’s my basic go to rub for pork & beef.
1 table spoon each
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Black Pepper
Salt
Paprika
Cumin
Dash of Cayenne
1/2 cup of brown sugar

For poultry same as above without the brown sugar, chili and cayenne. Add turmeric, coriander and crushed oregano.

Like Easy said experiment.

I fixed a little something after my friends funeral today…

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

When you cook low and slow in a smoker, you can’t really mess up. Salt plus meat plus fat plus fire equals good eating. That said, ribs and Boston butt are nearly foolproof. You’d have to almost try to mess it up. Also, the Lavatools digital thermometers on Amazon are about $25 and they work great, or at least mine does. A Thermapen will give you a readout 2 seconds faster and it might be more accurate, but they are expensive. Good enough is good enough.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Again thanks all. Paul, that stuff looks delicious. A lot more appetizing than the sandwich I made for lunch.