Herring

Are they there yet? Its a 2.5hr drive for me and want to make sure they are there before making the drive.

Not interested in the shad just the herring. Thanks yall.

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

What is a preferred fishing method for the herring? I plan to go a couple time in the next week or two but I have never targeted the herring.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

What is a preferred fishing method for the herring? I plan to go a couple time in the next week or two but I have never targeted the herring.

Use a Sabiki rig ( #6 hooks )and bounce the bottom, work it up and down slowly lifting it off the bottom about 2 or 3 feet each bounce.

When I was there a week ago, several places I saw bait balls on the sonar. I would say they looked a lot like menhaden does in the harbor. I never really fished one to see what they were but one ball I came back to it three times, so there was something there. Could that have been herring, if not then what?

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

When I was there a week ago, several places I saw bait balls on the sonar. I would say they looked a lot like menhaden does in the harbor. I never really fished one to see what they were but one ball I came back to it three times, so there was something there. Could that have been herring, if not then what?

Could be Herring, or Threadfin Shad. I just anchor out away from the bank so as not to be in casting range of the Shad fisherman, and jig the Sabiki, the Herring will find it.

I think what MM is looking for is to catch then for striper bait in the upstate lakes!

There are prob some herring in now, but the main herring run comes in after the shad. The peak of the herring is probably not until April.

John

Went Easter weekend to the tailrace. Herring not running yet.

Thanks for the report, and welcome back to the site!!