Hey Administrators

Looks like I’m going to be upgrading the GPS, VHF, XM weather, depth sounder, etc. on my boat. I’d be doing it piece mill, so I’d like to have a plan as I go along. Just wondering if you could add a Marine Electronics Category to the list? I have several questions on where to get started, and would like input from the guys here. `

I think you could put it under the Boats and Motors category, or even under the Offshore Discussion or Inshore Discussion depending on the fishing you plan on doing! We are actually going to try to reduce the number of categories to simplify things!

No problem. I think reducing the categories is a great idea. Just that an Electronics Category, specifically, might be easier to navigate to, for answers on those topics?

I have a garmin 540s not quite as old as I am shouldn’t I have it updated and where could I get that done in Chuck County?

I would go by somewhere like the GPS store. They are much more knowledgeable than somewhere like Bass pro shop or West Marine.

I actually bought my last Big unit from the GPS store. Had satellite weather, radar and 1,000 w Sounder.
Really like the satellite weather. You could get wave height wind direction and it seemed to be pretty accurate.
And that was near 20 years ago. I just imagine what they have now.
And I’m a big fan of Garmin for 2 reasons. Garmin is a lot more user friendly. IMO, I’m pretty computer illiterate.
I had great luck with their customer service and warranty. I had a unit go out talk to them on a Monday. Asked if there was any way I could have it for the following weekend. They said if I overnighted it they would see what they could do. I had it back that Friday.
They didn’t even charged me to overnight it back to me.

Regardless of brand, buy the biggest screen you have room for and can afford. I bought a Garmin 421S 8 or so years ago. So many times I have kicked myself for not getting a bigger screen. It has been a great unit and does all I need it to do. Just too small for my getting older eyes.

go to garmins site and get the free download called activecaptain and install it on your home computer

when you open the program on your computer the first thing it does is ask you to add your device.

then put an sd card into your 540S and choose “prepare for update” (I think thats it)

take that sd card out of your garmin and put into your computer at the “add device” prompt

follow the directions from there. It’s pretty easy. you’ll need an at least an 8gig sd.

when you put the sd card back into the garmin 540s it will load the latest update.

Or you can call garmin support and they will send you the update sd to install on your unit for a nominal fee.

boom chakka lakka Boom

EF

First off I’m houseless but you’d of known that ifn I could PM you my number, second off I ain’t had a computor since these here smart tart phones come out, third off I hate whatever the hay you told me to do with a mind pretzel puzzle card. Anys how I’m a thinking of yous showing us how to wet hooks maybe in the Dawho after I get a bed for rubbing bellies again. Since you missed OTC’s free lunch he’s up for the tripping and I m planning on that crazy loon flying over to hold a rod. Afterwards you can takes the garmin for a date but I gets to unscrew her first. Scrub that deck mate, aye aye you… :rofl:

I don’t think EF wants to be seen associating with the likes of you and me…

Since I already have a 9 inch hole in my dash, I’m looking at a Garmin 943 SXV. Opinions? And, will it network to integrate the XM Weather, radar etc?

1 Like

For the record, I’m computer illiterate, as well! Hence all of the questions.

Thanks for the heads up on the GPS Store, OTC! Looks like they have a special on a Garmin ECHOMAP 94sv, with transducer. Opinions?

://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Units/Chart-Plotters/Garmin-ECHOMAP-UHD-94sv-with-Bluechart-G3-Charts-and-Transducer