Hey Fred, Remember Those Paw Paws

I was going thru some seed stuff and found the paw paws I put thru cold stratification for you. Sorry, i forgot until now.

So I thought Id see if i can get a couple to germinate and if so send you the rest of these.

If they sprout you can send me an address and I’ll send them.

1 Like

Fantastic!!! I’ve been asking a few older folk around here about them and they know what they are and remember some plants but not in many years… I’ve been asking some of the Plantation managers as well. I’d love to give it a go! Just ordered a solar sonic / flashy light thing to see if I can get my Mulberries up high enough so the deer can’t eat them to the ground.

Thanks again EF.

If they sprout, I’ll take all you can give on where to plant and how to grow. I’ve been looking on line about them and sounds like they can be aggravating to get established. From what I’m gathering the young trees need shade and won’t tolerate full sun, but the adults need full sun? I guess start in a pot and keep shaded for the first couple of years?

Net says they are plentiful across S.C. in Moist Shaded areas? If I’ve come across any I didn’t know what they were. Never seen them in the wild, and not to toot my horn, but I’ve walked and been in a lot of woods across the low country and a decent amount in the Piedmont area.

OK, they have been soaking in a paper towell four weeks now, the info says 2-3 weeks to germinate and another month or two for a shoot to appear.

The husks seem much softer now, so I’m gonna transfer them into some prepared soil today and see what happens.

Fingers crossed

Now we wait

2 Likes