Hilton Head question

We have a family vacation in Hilton head 24-31 March timeframe. Going to take my 18’ cc and was wondering if anyone knew what I would catch around that time of year at the reefs (inshore and nearshore)?i have a top spot map for the area but would appreciate any fisherman experience. Are Cobia around then? How about Spanish? Would I find either species in the inlet or on the reefs? How about the shipping channel. Also, if weather holds out I would like to push out to Betsy Ross. Weather has to be perfect for that so doubtful I will get to.(Not looking for a discussion on sea worthiness of boats) just curious what hangs out there and at nearshore reefs at that time of year specifically.

Second, which boat ramp would be best/quickest ride to use to get to the port royal sound and out to the reefs? I looked at the resources page and think I’ll use cc hai** or buckingham but was wondering if there were any better for my applications or high low tide concerns getting to the sound. I am staying on Hilton head island.

Thanks in advance, I only posted here because this forum gets more traffic than the HHI one.

No boat lectures from me.

Look for cow(nose) rays to show up in the creeks. They jump out the water. If they are around the Cobia are usually as well. I would imagine they’ll be early since everything is different with the mild weather. You’ll see huge schools in the sounds/ship channel/reefs.

Cobia hang with the rays looking for shade. They also hang around the channel buoys(shade). Make sure you got a pitch bait ready when running out or in and check the buoys. When you’re fishing the reef, put a live surface bait out(eels/pinfish/big prawn/crab)while bottom fishing as you’ll see them run under the boat for shade. Anything floating is worth checking out to see what might be under it…sea turtles also have Cobia around them sometimes. Triple tail/Spanish are usually later in the spring/summer.

Tide lines are also worth poking around. Look for birds and you might scare up some blufish or jacks.

Good luck.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

WHAT ARE THE COBIA REGS THIS YEAR AS FAR AS THE BROAD IS CONCERNED , I CAN’T SEEM TO KEEP UP OR UNDERSTAND THEM AS THEY CHANGE SO MUCH !!!:frowning_face::frowning_face:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by gail wins

WHAT ARE THE COBIA REGS THIS YEAR AS FAR AS THE BROAD IS CONCERNED , I CAN’T SEEM TO KEEP UP OR UNDERSTAND THEM AS THEY CHANGE SO MUCH !!!:frowning_face::frowning_face:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Don't know. I'm in Savannah Ga. Don't fish the Broad.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Thanks for the tips mdaddy. I appreciate the advice and would gladly take any more if anyone has any.
Also, anyone who can speak to the boat ramp part of the question would really help me round out my trip preparation. Not looking for a private put in, just local knowledge on the two ramps I mentioned in the original post (closures or low tide issues, etc)

Thanks again mdaddy.

Palm beach 181 whitecap 115merc
Lowe 170 70hp

Check out my YouTube page

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCmxlXT3ChNyo3hMSimdlFNw

I DON’T VENTURE TO HH OR OFFSHORE VERY OFTEN BUT WHEN I DO I USUALLY PUT IN AT THE PUBLIC RAMP ON HI-WAY 278 JUST BEFORE HH. THE RAMPS I USE ARE BOTH ON HI-WAY 170 BETWEEN BEAUFORD AND LEMON ISLAND. THE RAMP ON THE BROAD IS DICEY ON LOW WITH A VERY NARROW CHANNEL INTO IT . ALSO THESE TWO RAMPS ARE A LOOONG RIDE IF YOUR GOING OFFSHORE… ALSO A RAMP OVER ON THE MARINE CORP BASE INTO THE BEAUFORD RIVER THATS A LITTLE CLOSER IF YOU HAVE BASE PRIVIDGES… HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE:sunglasses:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

author unknown

Thanks Gail wins. Those were the two that I was looking at using. I do have base access but I would rather spend the extra time driving on the water instead of driving all the way from Hilton head. I also want to be able to snag some live bait on the way out and I hope between the landing and the broad river will produce some. Should the bait schools be back in thick by late March? Thanks again for the heads up.

Palm beach 181 whitecap 115merc
Lowe 170 70hp

Check out my YouTube page

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCmxlXT3ChNyo3hMSimdlFNw

mdaddy giving the hole* dam store away.

Saw on TV the other night that all the Cobia have been caught out around here! Have to go to the Gulf to catch one! Fake News?