HOBA; like Uber but for boats

What do y’all think?!?

http://m.live5news.com/live5news/db_330614/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=yiAniRdG

I wonder how the liability side works. What if someone falls out of your boat and drowns? Are you liable? Do you have to get special insurance for that?

How does that even work? We have charter captains just sitting around waiting on people to book? I don’t see this being feasible in this environment, maybe somewhere where you rely on boats more for actual transportation.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I wonder how the liability side works. What if someone falls out of your boat and drowns? Are you liable? Do you have to get special insurance for that?

They would need some sort of comerical policy for any coverage. Wouldn’t want to touch it.

Wish him good luck but can’t see it working!!

quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82
quote:

They would need some sort of comerical policy for any coverage. Wouldn’t want to touch it.

Only people allowed to be "drivers" are those with a Captains license and most of those already have some sort of liability insurance.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:
quote:

Only people allowed to be "drivers" are those with a Captains license and most of those already have some sort of liability insurance.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Most likely some sort of liab insurance that wouldn’t provide coverage for all sorts of trips coming from a ride sharing app.

i hope he gets rich and proves all you haters wrong

Funny this has come up. I was thinking the other day about trying to round up a couple of surf fishers and getting a ride from a CF captain to one of the local barrier islands in the morning and getting picked up before dark… Supplying everything we needed ourselves, but looking for a ride to and from. Fall trip. Was curious if they would be interested in doing this, and what it would cost???

Hoba might have a policy that covers liability.

I wouldn’t think they would have one that covers the operators as I don’t think there is really a way for the insurance company to quantify the risk. The operator could be a legit capt or a meth neck with 6 DUI’s running the seafox that he stole from his neighbor who just refinanced his double wide to purchase.

Here is the website.

https://www.hobarides.com

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:

I wouldn’t think they would have one that covers the operators as I don’t think there is really a way for the insurance company to quantify the risk. The operator could be a legit capt or a meth neck with 6 DUI’s running the seafox that he stole from his neighbor who just refinanced his double wide to purchase.

Hoba isn't a ride sharing app, it's more of a charter booking agency, Anytime money changes hands for something involving the water and a boat a license of some sort needs to be involved. When I signed up for HOBA, to help my buddy, I had to upload copies of license, insurance, and registration, you won't show up as an available captain without doing that. I will check with my insurance company next week and see what they say and we can put all of your speculation to bed.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

i hope he gets rich and proves all you haters wrong

I doubt D has anything to worry about, the charlestonfishing peanut gallery doesn’t know near as much as they think as usual. Hoba is a solid idea and will do well.

I bet this thing will take off especially with all the tourist here in the summer. Just think of all the people that would love to take a ride from Shem Creek after a cocktail to California Dreaming for dinner by boat. Small things like that which I am guilty of taking for granted.

Again, it will probably work, just not here. The reason Uber worked is there already were massive amounts of people needing transportation, hence the cab industry. Uber didn’t invent the concept, they just built a better mouse trap. If there were already a large water taxi industry in Charleston providing these services, then maybe. I think it would do really well in areas that have that industry, but Charleston? I think you’d just be undercutting the Shem Creek sunset cruise folks.

Either way, the minute Uber or Lyft decide to just add this functionality to their app, it’s all over.

The best part about this service is everyone here spending 5 minutes thinking about it and assuming that the first thing off the top of their head is a novel problem that the guys behind this service (which probably took a lot of thinking and business stuff to establish) have never considered.

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

The best part about this service is everyone here spending 5 minutes thinking about it and assuming that the first thing off the top of their head is a novel problem that the guys behind this service (which probably took a lot of thinking and business stuff to establish) have never considered.

Opinions are like a-holes :smiley:

But when the OP is “What do you think?” you’re going to get some opinions.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Again, it will probably work, just not here. The reason Uber worked is there already were massive amounts of people needing transportation, hence the cab industry. Uber didn’t invent the concept, they just built a better mouse trap. If there were already a large water taxi industry in Charleston providing these services, then maybe. I think it would do really well in areas that have that industry, but Charleston? I think you’d just be undercutting the Shem Creek sunset cruise folks.

Either way, the minute Uber or Lyft decide to just add this functionality to their app, it’s all over.

The minute Uber or Lyft decide to add this feature they will want to buy HOBA since they have all the licensed captains already signed up is one way to think about it. I won't be undercutting anyone when my rate is $125/hour with a 2 hour minimum. The beauty of HOBA is each Captain gets to set their own rates.

That’s definitely the best outcome- selling to one of the giants.