hogs with a handgun?

well first off its great to be back on dry land after disappearing underwater for 5 months, but now that im stateside again and missed deer season i want to make up for it in pork chops. of course i have the 30-06 and my bow, but i also want to try to get one with my .44 magnum. of course being a handgun im aware that it will be up close and personal, but has anyone actually gone after pigs with a handgun that wasnt chased up a tree? i figure that being .44 mag it will sit pretty much anything i come across down, but am wondering if different types of bullets are better or if it really matters when its that much punch. also wondering what type of cover i should start looking in (pine trees, swamp, thickets, …?) any pointers are appreciated.

I’ve killed them with.45 acp, .460 s&w and .500 s&w with a handgun it’s a different type of kill. Not a lot of shock in those bullets they almost just bleed out. When I killed a moose with my .500 I was using 375 grain Barnes loaded by buffalo bore and got full penetration. Anything thing over 180 gr will do the trick if you shoot a flat nose your gonna have the ballistics of a school bus so go to the range first and know your drops. I’d shoot a 44 mag 65 yards plus depending on the round perhaps out to 100 if I felt good with the gun. Shooting sticks help out a ton. good luck

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha (under construction)

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

I’ve killed several with a .357. Usually where we hunt hogs the shot is always up close. .44 mag, no problem.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Use a soft point bullet, not HP, it allows for more penetration. In sows and young that’s not an issues. In a big bo hog it is.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
well first off its great to be back on dry land after disappearing underwater for 5 months,

I meant to add, thanks for what you do :smiley: Anybody who can spend 5 months underwater in a metal tube is a special sort of person. I’d be wanting to kill something when I got out too!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

spending 5 months in a steel tube isnt easy by any means, but the good news is that at the end of that time i got a license to drive a 20 foot mako boat in diego garcia and put a good whipping on some snapper and grouper, but mr trevally escaped me. absolutely i want to go shoot something, but the good news is that after getting home i went to http://www.gobacktoohio.com and booked the first flight out and am deer hunting tonight since its the last day of archery season. 6-10" of snow presents its challenge, but i really dont care! as for the hog hunt, my .44 magnum has a 4.5" barrel and only weighs 28oz (titanium) so not much room for shooting sticks. with the soft point bullets im ok to about 15 yards, but havent had it all that long to be really great at it. ill definitely take a few practice rounds before going on razorback rampage but id have to imagine busting some bacon with a revolver would be a very nice welcome back to the woods. ill put up deer pics if i get one!

Look into putting a red dot or reflex on it. I just took one off of mine, just to put on my 9 mm carbine. Will be upgrading from the one I had.

it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

14’’ McKee/30 'rude
“Shenanigans”