Home Bait Tank

I am putting 275 gal IBC Tote for a bait holding tank at my house. I have seen numerous threads about aireation, filtration, salinity and pump sizes. What I haven’t seen is much on insulation. Since the tank will be in my carport, it will be out of the sun but in the heat and cold. Anyone got any suggestions about what to insulate the tote with before I build something around it to make it visually more acceptable, if you know what I mean…

Bill, I have seen people insulate their tanks with the silver insulation, but that is more for keeping it warm versus keeping it cool … if you have well water, then your best best may be to use a trickle system (similar to this … https://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-bait/321444-275-gallon-tote-minnow-tank/ )to keep the water cool - just be careful for the O2 levels because well water doesn’t have a lot of dissolved oxygen in it …

There are several threads on here about home tanks … Just search them …

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Bill, maybe box it in with a hexagon shaped boarder around the perimeter and then fill the gap between the walls and the tank with high rating home insulation? Paint the outside to match the house and it will fit right in.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thanks, I’ve researched the other threads but nobody mentions insulation and yes I am on a well so that is an option, guess for the time being just have to keep my ice machine running

Fishing is a prefectible art…in which nevertheless, no man is perfect – Gifford Pinchot

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

No one really insulates tanks, because no one really runs a tank in the summer. Too much of a pain to mess with herring.

People typically run tanks oct-april/may. And only concern is getting too cold which is solved with a water trough heater.

If you have a well do a slow trickle in from the bottom and let it out via an over flow pipe.

If no well a chiller is usually needed but can be pricey. A great homemade chiller is a window ac unit. If you know an hvac guy. Remove coil and place the coil in the tank then extend the lines back to the unit. You have to have good flow with this set up or the coil will freeze up

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

AN alternative home chiller is to use an old (or new) mini fridge and 100’ of garden hose …

Just make a couple of holes in the side of the mini fridge - do not uncoil the garden hose …

Connect the two 50’ lengths of hose together and place in the mini fridge … Use a couple of washing machine hose extensions to run in/out of the fridge and seal up the holes … Connect one end to a pump and allow the other to drain back into the tank …

Use the mini fridge temp setting to adjust accordingly

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

No one really insulates tanks, because no one really runs a tank in the summer. Too much of a pain to mess with herring.

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

Like Chip said, herring are a pain. I’ve tried to keep herring during the summer and they always die, but this is what my tank is insulated with to help with warmth during the winter.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-0-75-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-6875-in-x-3-875-ft-x-7-875-ft-Expanded-Polystyrene-Foam-Board-Insulation/3365568

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

I have a 400 gal round tank in my insulated barn that has so far only gotten up to 72.8 deg’ so far this summer I have to add about 20 gal a week to it from my well, I have a 1000 gal pump that run tru a biofilter and a commercial air pump with 3 round air stones so far I might loose 1 or 2 a herring week. I bet there are some in there that
have been there since the winter. I have been adding about 25 doz a month.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/for/d/columbia-hot-tub/6912272731.html

I’d rather fish than eat.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

In God We Trust

Again, thanks for all the input, I really appreciate the help!!

Fishing is a prefectible art…in which nevertheless, no man is perfect – Gifford Pinchot

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Hey guys, again thanks for all your help…thought I would close the loop with this pic of my operational bait tank. I used a pond filter on the inlet side of a 1000gph pond pump and it is working terrific. Also have a two stone air pump to keep the herring happy…

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Now if I could just figure out how to rotate the darn pic…

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Good looking job! How’is the temp doing?

quote:
Originally posted by Limitout

Now if I could just figure out how to rotate the darn pic…

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Looks good! I use that same insulation on an un-insulated 15 gal tank I use sometimes and it works well.

DF90 Suzuki

By draining half the water and refilling about every 4-5 days, manage to keep water temp between 72-78 degrees…will be glad to see this hot weather go…be much easier then…
I’m also going to build a shell around it out of siding so it looks like a big storage bin…
Skiff how did you rotate that pic???

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Not sure what Tim did, but the picture can be copied and opened with an editor such as “Paint”. It can then be manipulated any way you choose.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

quote:
Originally posted by Limitout

By draining half the water and refilling about every 4-5 days, manage to keep water temp between 72-78 degrees…will be glad to see this hot weather go…be much easier then…
I’m also going to build a shell around it out of siding so it looks like a big storage bin…
Skiff how did you rotate that pic???

Ice Blue Pathfinder 2200
“Kemosabe”
<’}}}><

Bill, there’s probably plenty of sites/apps out there, but I’ve been using this one for ever. Like Charles said, if on a computer, Paint is a good one to use.

http://webresizer.com/resizer/

DF90 Suzuki