Home Builder help

My wife and I are searching for home builders to construct our new home. I don’t think we have the budget to hire an architect/custom builder so we’ve been looking at modular homes and national/regional builders. So far we have met with Royal Homes in Summerville, Schumacher homes and America’s Home Place builder. Royal homes is modular and the other two are production stick built.
Does anyone have any opinions on these companies or maybe suggestions for other builders?

all serious opinions will be welcomed!!

thanks as always!

tom

All said and done, what are you looking to spend per square foot?

Narcosis

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

All said and done, what are you looking to spend per square foot?

Narcosis

I guess it depends on the size ?we have a total budget, bigger the house the less per sq ft.
But I would imagine $100/sq ft would be the max.

Paul with CDI Homes built my mom’s house on Folly Beach and its modular.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

Only problem with Modular homes is the part about (Built By Others)! This means that you have to go out and find other contractors for everything except the basic house. Were talking, foundation, porch’s, stairways, wells, electrical hook-up, septic tanks, heating and cooling systems, driveways, ect! The modular people just deliver the basic house and set it up on the foundation after it’s built by others. You’re better off getting a General Contractor, who will sub that all out and oversee the complete build! Oh, anything built by others will need to have a separate set of plans for the Building Inspector! I got off way cheaper building a stick built home, and, had only 1 Contractor to deal with.

Is your budget of $100/ft including the price of your lot? If not, you are in the range of a nice custom built home, IMO. Here in the Upstate the National Builders are generally in the $75-$85/sq ft range. And what they lack in quality they make up in size. Most reputable local Builders pay more attention to quality, and finish, from beginning to the end, offering less square footage, but a much finer home.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

“others will need to have a separate set of plans for the Building Inspector!”

Not sure about that, Easy? I recently finished a project in Summerville, and once the plans are approved by the City Plan Review Board, all that was required was that a stamped set of approved plans was on site at all times,(for all contractors to adhere to) until the CO was given.

Also, Builders are required to post all Contractors, and a Company name, and all Contractors must obtain a City License before any Permits were issued. It sure ain’t as easy as it used to be!

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

We’ve got the land. The 100/sq ft was for construction only. When we spoke with the modular company Royal Homes, they were actually the builder and distributor for R-Anell and RitzCraft modular homes. So, it was my understanding that they take care of the foundation piers and construction of the house and then we get the septic/well installed.

Sea Tonic, check out the contract real well! Look for the Phrase (By Others)and ask what that means! I’ll tell you, it means YOU have to get it done separately. I was going to have a Modular built, until the Inspector started asking for all the extra plans! That’s when I decided to go with a General Contractor and stick built.

At $100/ft I would find a “LOCAL” Custom Home Builder!! While I don’t live there, I did have enough trouble adjusting to the local codes in Summerville. I’m not arguing with Easy, just relaying my experience working there. I have a friend in Columbia, who has done a ton of work in the Low Country. I’ll be glad to get you two acquainted if interested?