Homemade lure!

That may be a crappy picture… if I get some responses I may upload better ones.
I made a lure out of a beer bottle cap, split rings, bb’s (for the rattle and weight), and a treble hook.
I guess you could also use small split shots to add as weight.
So if you are on the boat and you run outta lures, and you got some beer bottles, you can make one of these!
Well, you would have to drill 2 holes, but if you’re drunk enough, power tools can get the job done.
Believe it or not, this took about a half hour to make. Practice makes perfect though!

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

Paint some eyes on the side and give it a try. I’ve seen worst!
Jeff

I’m a fly fisherman so… I prefer the “Corona Crab” or the “Ultra Crab”.

Dang, I don’t usually expect to see this kind of stuff until it gets really cold and folks start suffering from extreme cabin fever.

quote:
Originally posted by TyOneOn

does the ultra pattern only catch skinny fish?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:
Originally posted by TyOneOn

does the ultra pattern only catch skinny fish?

So far, all the fish have had beer bellys. :smiley:

TyOneOn, how did you get those things onto your cap? Is it hot glue?
BTW here are some better pixs…

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

quote:
Originally posted by RiverMonster

TyOneOn, how did you get those things onto your cap? Is it hot glue?

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>tequilatrout on flytyingforum “tied” those two flies.

I like your “lure” version. I would (and probably will) make one of those with one change. I don’t want water inside the lure. I’ll probably fold a cap over a piece of foam. OR like you have mentioned, I’ll squirt some hot glue in the cap and then fold it over before it sets up.

They have a fly pattern that is called a Corona Crab that uses more traditional fly tying materials. I’ll stick with that one for the fly rod. Flinging a bottle cap with a fly rod will “take your eye out”. :smiley:

What would water getting inside of it do? I also changed my idea for this by drilling the holes in the sides, and putting a piece of mono wire leader through the middle. Put the bbs in, fold it in half, and crimp the wire to your line and the hook. I also like this better because your not putting stress on the cap.
If you make one be prepared…putting on the split rings is a pain in the rear.

quote:

What would water getting inside of it do?..

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Each cast will change with the dynamics of how much water seeps in. And the drip factor. If neither would be an issue for you then… I wouldn’t worry about it for your version. Most lures are solid or waterproof. Just makes the retrieval consistent.

But, if hollow works… get after it. :wink:

I’m thinking Guinness caps for winter and Corona for summer? :smiley:

quote:
I'm thinking Guinness caps for winter and Corona for summer?
:smiley: I see what you say by water changing the consistency. I will probably try a few out without the glue, and then some with a sealed cap. Whats your opinion on the aluminum ripping on a nice red?

quote:

Whats your opinion on the aluminum ripping on a nice red?

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>It’s just the constant wiggle back and forth, which is good to attract fish but bad for wear at the ring attachments. I made one up but can’t find my hot glue? :angry: I’ll keep looking.

RiverMonster. I agree that you should wire the rings together, that cap isn’t strong enough to hold the tension of a good sized fish. I have a close friend who is a professional battle wagon captain. He caught a 450 ish pound marlin in the Bahamas on a Budweiser natural draft can rigged with a skirt and hook. He says the fishing was nonexistant and they were trying everything.

quote:
Originally posted by 13skulls

RiverMonster. I agree that you should wire the rings together, that cap isn’t strong enough to hold the tension of a good sized fish. I have a close friend who is a professional battle wagon captain. He caught a 450 ish pound marlin in the Bahamas on a Budweiser natural draft can rigged with a skirt and hook. He says the fishing was nonexistant and they were trying everything.

Yeah thats what I was thinkin and a marlin on budweiser...that's pretty awesome

I would like to order two of those crab thingamajiggies…:slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I like to run what I call a trash can teaser when I go offshore. Basically you start putting all the empty beer cans on a string. It actually does raise fish pretty regularly.

Next time you come over we need to give this lure a shot!

quote:
Originally posted by StuckonLand

Next time you come over we need to give this lure a shot!

Yeah forgot to mention it, but stuck showed me this. I actually got a hit on it by a little bass.

Talapia will tear it up.

Put a couple of beads in it, just enuf cork to make it neutral bouyant? Could be a crowd pleaser! NICE WORK! You could make a killin down on Market St. Just sayin!