Originally posted by mcvlbound
quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy
quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
Never having to hear about In-Law money that helped buy a house - Priceless

X3!! I’d rather live in a tent.

Are you implying that every parent who helps their kids out, then tuns around and holds it over their heads?

You’d probably fit in better in a tent

Are you implying that none do?
Relationships between 2 adults can be very complicated. 50% of marriages break up. Do you really think that parents meddling in their married children’s lives, or children that remain dependant on their parents after they’ve gotten married, are never a factor in any of those many failed marriages?

Whats your point?

quote:
Originally posted by andyb

I guess nobody else has anything to say about pros and cons of living on James or Johns Island?

I’m finished with the rest of the discussion, so count me out on that.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

I bought my first house a little over 11 years ago. We are in Riverland Terrace on James Island. It is an older neighborhood. My house was built in 1944. When we bought it we were attracted to the beauty and location. It was going to be a “starter” house. Having now lived here this long I am sure l won’t leave. We may move within the neighborhood but likely I will remodel or level and start over where I am. My wife and I are now both self employed and our daughter starts at Harbor View Elementary next year. A lot has happened since we got our “starter” house. My advice has already been givin by others on this thread. Find a place that you like. Don’t over commit on price. I would add. Take care of your new investment and be a good neighbor. Make the Mrs happy. Who knows what the future holds.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

I used to live on a boat at the folly Marina many years ago. It was a confused and difficult time in my life. sometimes it was like living in a roman orgy. I’m glad I finally recovered

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you implying that every parent who helps their kids out, then tuns around and holds it over their heads?

Relationships between 2 adults can be very complicated. 50% of marriages break up. Do you really think that parents meddling in their married children’s lives, or children that remain dependant on their parents after they’ve gotten married, are never a factor in any of those many failed marriages?

Whats your point?

My point is in the answer to the questions that I asked.

I wonder if Donald Trump helped his kids with jobs or houses.
Or if he would allow his daughter to live in a tent and pee in a bucket.

quote:

I guess nobody else has anything to say about pros and cons of living on James or Johns Island?

Andy best wishes on a long an fruitful life.
with your bride to be.

I had a tooth ache this week, so I sought the advice of a dentist. A schooled professional, not some knuckleheads I don’t know on a fishing website. I suggest you do the same in your house search. There are may good professional agents in the area that can assess your situation and guide you appropriately. Best of luck … Phillip

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Again - more broad brushed answers that of course could apply under many scenarios, but for some reason you want to try to laser focus them with regards to parents helping kids out. Now you’re implying that parents who help kids after they are married are meddling and causing the kids to remain dependent on them, and becoming more of a probability of the marriage to fail?

My thought on that is if parents meddle with their kids relationships and lives to the point that it causes a marriage to fail

quote:

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I’ve had family on James Island for over 30 years, and always along the Clark Sound. My dad was the first to build in Seaside Plantations in 1988 and when I moved back down I settled in the same neighborhood. subsections vary from estates on the tidal creeks to smaller subsections with houses down to approx 1800 sq ft to condos. There is a community boat ramp and that was one of the biggest draws for me. It is tidal, but I can get my 16’ in 2 hours either side of low. I’ve been there for 13 years and we’re not looking to move anytime soon. We have no kids so schools are not a factor for us. On a good day we can be sitting on Folly Beach in 10 minutes, and downtown in 10-15 minutes. I’m 10 minutes from 3 different public boat ramps and James Island County Park. I understand there are some pros and cons of living in “Charleston” James Island versus the Public Service District, but I’m in “Charleston” and have no complaints.

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

You’re right Hoppy, money isn’t the bad guy, and parents helping adult kids isn’t necessarily the bad guy either.
This whole side conversation started when it was said that it was dangerous to start a marriage off while making a woman live somewhere that she doesn’t want to live, and something along the lines of if the princess wants to live in MTP, the in-laws need to be stepping up.
To me that’s a scenario that both sets of parents need to stay out of.
If the bride doesn’t want to live in an area that they can afford, let them rent until they save up until they can. Let them have that shared goal and potential accomplishment together as a couple.
I wouldn’t want to be starting off as the husband in a relationship where my wife is still leaning on Mom and Dad to keep her happy with monetary support.
More importantly I wouldn’t want my daughter entering a marriage where her happiness in the marriage could even have the potential of being dependant on my monetary support in any way.
That’s why I think the hands off approach is in most cases the safest way for parents to handle the money problems their married children face.
It’s not life or death, and as a couple they should be able to overcome it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I’ve had family on James Island for over 30 years, and always along the Clark Sound. My dad was the first to build in Seaside Plantations in 1988 and when I moved back down I settled in the same neighborhood. subsections vary from estates on the tidal creeks to smaller subsections with houses down to approx 1800 sq ft to condos. There is a community boat ramp and that was one of the biggest draws for me. It is tidal, but I can get my 16’ in 2 hours either side of low. I’ve been there for 13 years and we’re not looking to move anytime soon. We have no kids so schools are not a factor for us. On a good day we can be sitting on Folly Beach in 10 minutes, and downtown in 10-15 minutes. I’m 10 minutes from 3 different public boat ramps and James Island County Park. I understand there are some pros and cons of living in “Charleston” James Island versus the Public Service District, but I’m in “Charleston” and have no complaints.

Thank you for some helpful insight. We have a house to see tomorrow morning that is not far from there.

quote:
Originally posted by jipride
quote:

I bought my first house a little over 11 years ago. We are in Riverland Terrace on James Island. It is an older neighborhood. My house was built in 1944. When we bought it we were attracted to the beauty and location. It was going to be a “starter” house. Having now lived here this long I am sure l won’t leave. We may move within the neighborhood but likely I will remodel or level and start over where I am. My wife and I are now both self employed and our daughter starts at Harbor View Elementary next year. A lot has happened since we got our “starter” house. My advice has already been givin by others on this thread. Find a place that you like. Don’t over commit on price. I would add. Take care of your new investment and be a good neighbor. Make the Mrs happy. Who knows what the future holds.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

Thanks. If I could find reasonably priced, condition, and sized house in Riverland Terrace I would buy it. I love the neighborhood. But apparently so does everyone else now. Everything we’ve seen in there since last fall has been $230-250 for fixer uppers, and we just can’t do a renovation starting at those prices. The few that we’

Finally back to a sensible conversation!!!:smiley: Hate that I was part of some of the other crap!!!:frowning_face:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

We just moved to James Island (I have been renting on the island for around 10 yrs already) in October…3 days before the historic flooding crap hit! But that’s another story! We love it. We looked at homes for around 3 months before finding it, which I guess isn’t really that long. At first we found a similar situation to what you are saying. Most homes that were in our budget were in need of EXTENSIVE renovations. We were thinking we would likely end up in West Ashley. We finally had an 1100 sqft 3 bed 2 bath foreclosure pop up for $180K that was in great shape on a 0.5 acre lot. We were the first to see it and the first to put an offer in. I will say if you find a house you really like don’t wait to pull the trigger they go fast out here.

With that being said, like everyone has mentioned just make sure you like the area you are in and no home will have everything thing you want! Avoid HOAs and take your time!

quote:
Originally posted by fishcrazy

Avoid HOAs and take your time!

while I do not always agree with my HOA, I do understand and respect why they are there…knowing what I knew about them I still chose to live in a subdivision with not one, but two HOAs…I will complain with every check I send them both each year, but bottom line is I am fine with their rules…

quote:
Originally posted by fishcrazy

I will say if you find a house you really like don’t wait to pull the trigger they go fast out here.

Yep, we’ve had three go under contract either the day before or day of our showing. And one under contract an hour before we sent our offer, same day as our showing. :face_with_head_bandage: