Homeschoolers Win First 1000 Yard Rifle Match

Shooting has been a part of our educational program for many years, including air rifle, 22 LR, and centerfire rifle. In the past few years, my two sons (daughter also) have focused on benchrest and 600 yard F-Class. They’ve won a few benchrest matches, but never took home awards in F-Class until their first 1000 Yard match last weekend.

My older son (right) has a bit more experience and won first place junior in F-Open shooting a score higher than anyone in the family had ever shot at 1000 yards. My younger son (left) also managed to shoot very well and take second place in F-Open. The big smiles are their acknowledgement that all that practice is finally paying off.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows of F-Class opportunities in western SC. Someone mentioned SCOTG on a discussion forum, but I have been unable to get additional info even from their web site or FB pages. Right now, the closest matches we’ve found are 1) Polk County NC 2) RBGC, GA 3) Chattanooga, TN 4) Oak Ridge, TN and 5) Tulahoma, TN. Anything closer to Clemson?

I’m in Easley and a member of Greenville Gun Club.There are tons of events at the club, but our longest range is 300 yards.A friend’s daughter will be in my office in three days.She and her husband participate in some kind of “extreme” tactical rifle competition mostly in Alabama, but they split there time up here with business interests and family.They tell me its some sort “move and shoot” on steel targets out to 1000m.I’m sure that’s a small community,I’ll see if they know anything.

Congrats to your sons! I know you were proud :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Congratulations to your sons; that’s quite a great accomplishment!

If I get murdered in the city, don’t go revenging in my name…

Isn’t there a 1000 yd club near Summerville?

Here you go.
http://www.wheatonarms.com/upcoming-matches.html

Impressive!

What were they shooting? 7.62 M1A? Open sights or optic?

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

quote:
Originally posted by Native_Son

Impressive!

What were they shooting? 7.62 M1A? Open sights or optic?

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

The shooters are a bit sensitive about dad giving away all their secrets. F-Class allows optics, and I seem to recall all the shooters using optical sights. F-Open also allows cartridges other than 5.56 and 7.62, so the boys were taking advantage of cartridges a bit better suited to 1000 yards (higher ballistic coefficients), as were all the competitors in the F-Open class. The F-TR class is limited to 7.62 and 5.56 mm. Their sister competes in F-TR at 1000 yards, but the boys only compete in F-TR out to 600 yards.

The boys did OK the posting of this video from which an astute observer can determine more details than I am allowed to articulate.

https://youtu.be/DJHHofnuGVY

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

quote:
Originally posted by salty849

Here you go.
http://www.wheatonarms.com/upcoming-matches.html

Looks like fun. Thanks for the lead!

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah