Honda: Rancher vs Foreman vs Rubicon

I am in the market for a new ATV, my 2001 2wd Rancher has been great but time to upgrade. Only regret I ever had with it was not getting it in 4wd.
So the 3 above is what I am looking at but cannot find a lot comparing each to see what is best fit for me so thought some of you guys may have some pros & cons for each or maybe have owned a couple of each so you would know how they compare.
I mainly ride trails around my house, dirt road I live on, use for moving my jon boat around & yard work, & I love going mudding & riding the creek. I only live 5 min or so from Broken Nut ATV park so that is a plus.
Which ever I choose will be 4wd, manual shift, & a Honda.
Here are the obvious differences I found based on the Honda site.
Rancher 4x4: 420cc, 580#, msrp= $6,999.
Foreman 4x4 EPS: 518cc, 636#, msrp= $8099. (from what I have seen EPS is nice to have on larger ATVs).
Rubicon 4x4 EPS & IRS: 518cc, 700#, msrp= $8799. (I have heard the IRS makes for a lot better ride).

Any personal views on each would be greatly appreciated.

Once you have he electric steering you’ll get spoiled by it. Reliable and nice feature. Of the three I’d recommend the Forman.

Used a pioneer quit a bit but the Polaris ranger has a better ride plus smoother take offs if you are just creeping and taking off slow.

Thanks Fred, that is the same as I have read about EPS. The only negative I have read about it is when you are in a muddy deep rut trying to work your front tires back & forth. You can over extend the handle bars by turning them more the the wheels are actually turning & can cause a front arm to break. They says it is something you just have to keep in mind & learn when mud bogging in ruts.
I also forgot to mention the Rubicon comes with IRS rear end which makes for a way more comfortable ride from what I have read. Have not found any other pros or cons on that so far. Other than more bells & whistles more things to break but Honda seems to be reliable, at least from my experience.

I thought this thread was going to be about boxing.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Ha, but that would be a good subject to start a new thread.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Rubicon then wifey saw the Pioneer 700, guess what we got?

on the ATV’s, Rubicon had more ground clearance and better features than the other ATVs

Pioneer 197SF

Just bought a rancher for me, a Recon for my oldest son and a 90 Grizzly for my youngest. Decided on the Rancher because they’re dang near bulletproof. Plenty fast for me, tough, dependable and relatively simple. Got the 4X4ES model with the solid rear axle.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

My current rancher has been a good one, I have put it places a 4wd couldn’t get thru. I am looking at the other two because I wanted something a little bigger for the wife I to ride on together.
The main reason I am looking at the Rubicon is for the IRS & the extra ground clearance. I am just not sure if a IRS or solid axle will be better. I have heard a lot about people breaking the stock IRS but never a stock solid one.
I am a little worried about getting anything in ES because I have friends that had them & most had issues with them but that was back in the early 2000’s.
I am actually going to get a Recon for my son & pass his Honda 50 Dirt bike down to my daughter. Then get either a Foreman or Rubicon for the wife I to ride together, although I have thought about a Rancher for each of us.
Tough choices.
I originally wanted a 4 seat Side by Side but family like the idea of ATVs more & 2 to 3 ATVs would still be as cheap or cheaper then a 4 seat S&S.
Thanks guys…

The makers of the side by side are proud of them. They cost about what a car does.

Double D.

Mid 2000s Honda moved the electric connectors for electric shift up to gas tank height after that ES was much more reliable. I had a 2006 350 ES rancher with ITP mud lites. It was full time 4x4 but I installed a Warn disconnect on it myself. I put on a HMF exhaust and a larger jet and it had plenty of power for me but then again I only weight 165. It was bullet proof and I could go through deeper mud than my two buddies Rincons and not get stuck. Those larger machines weigh so much more that they tend to dig versus go across the top. We rode mud holes on power lines a lot and they were constantly having to winch out, I never even installed a winch on mine. We rode Carolina Adventure World a lot as well and I had no problems keeping up. I will say the independent rear suspension is a lot more comfortable especially if you are going to have a rear passenger.

I haven’t personally been on one and I don’t own one but White River Marine Group partnered with Textron to create Tracker Off Road (Textron owns EZ-Go and Arctic Cat but Textron still makes the side-by-sides, EZ-Go still makes the golf carts and Arctic Cat still makes the ATV’s). The price points, features and warranty are pretty impressive. I’ve seen their commercials on some hunting and fishing shows I watch so I checked out the Tracker Off Road website. Not having any firsthand experience, they look pretty comparable on paper (with regards the features), the price points and warranty are more than comparable and they’re made in the U.S.A.

https://www.trackeroffroad.com/

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

quote:
Originally posted by areeldrag

My current rancher has been a good one, I have put it places a 4wd couldn’t get thru. I am looking at the other two because I wanted something a little bigger for the wife I to ride on together.
The main reason I am looking at the Rubicon is for the IRS & the extra ground clearance. I am just not sure if a IRS or solid axle will be better. I have heard a lot about people breaking the stock IRS but never a stock solid one.
I am a little worried about getting anything in ES because I have friends that had them & most had issues with them but that was back in the early 2000’s.
I am actually going to get a Recon for my son & pass his Honda 50 Dirt bike down to my daughter. Then get either a Foreman or Rubicon for the wife I to ride together, although I have thought about a Rancher for each of us.
Tough choices.
I originally wanted a 4 seat Side by Side but family like the idea of ATVs more & 2 to 3 ATVs would still be as cheap or cheaper then a 4 seat S&S.
Thanks guys…

No question a solid axel is stronger but the ride is night and day. The only axel issues I’ve seen in the independents are from running larger tires / lifts or not catching a torn cv boot

I’m with you, Fred, the ride of a IRS versus a solid is not even comparable. My back appreciates the IRS.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

I have ITP AT589 M+S on the back of my Rancher & they have done great but they do not make them any more. What ever I get I was wanting to go up 2 sizes. Foreman & Rubicon have 25’s so I would like to do some 27" ITP Mud Lite XL all around or 26" ITP Mayhems (they are a little lighter).

I am now thinking seriously about the IRS, especially as I am getting older & I do have back problems time to time.
Wonder if going up 2 sizes would hurt the IRS, I would not want to do any kind of lift kit or gear reduction?
What you guys think about riding double with the IRS, will that 2nd rider at the back make it sit down a lot?

Those S&S are pricey but man they really got some power.

I had a buddy that got a A-Cat in late 90’s & that thing was a pc of crap, not sure how they are now. Haven’t really seen many around except for sale at BP & Cabelas.

My opinion on a 4 wheeler is there is Honda then there’s the rest. Had a Polaris once, POS.

I have a Gator SxS but it’s strictly utility. Bone stock and I’ve had that thing in some rough spot and it just goes. Only issue is when that belt gets wet.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Kids have a 250 Recon & it’s great. Light enough to pick up if you get stuck, even thou it now has a winch. Can put big ITP tires on the rear & a snorkle kit with boat cushion on the front rack & it will float enough. Had 300 Four trax i sold last year. Honda makes a great product.

21 Contender

A couple of friends were four wheeling in the back woods of West Virginia, when they had troubles, and had to walk a couple of miles out to get a cell phone signal. When they got hold of one of the local tow guys, he inquired “how did you get your Polaris that far back?” My friend asks “how did you know I’m on a Polaris?” Reply, “you wouldn’t be callin’ me if you were on a Honda!”.

True story…

Too funny.
I had a 400 2 stroke polaris in the 90s. It did good for a yr or so & then nothing but problems after that. Finally turned into a yard ornament. Then someone stole it, bet they were more pissed then I was.

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

A couple of friends were four wheeling in the back woods of West Virginia, when they had troubles, and had to walk a couple of miles out to get a cell phone signal. When they got hold of one of the local tow guys, he inquired “how did you get your Polaris that far back?” My friend asks “how did you know I’m on a Polaris?” Reply, “you wouldn’t be callin’ me if you were on a Honda!”.

True story…